PDA

View Full Version : Intel vs AMD

troyatlarge
21st September 2009, 03:35 PM
I see Intel is in the news today (google news - if that is really "news") in a anti-trust case.

Aside from the wrongs of big boys showing their power, there is the matter of the actual chips in service. With my new job fixing computers (which is mainly getting rig of infections on Microsoft boxes) I have been very impressed as to how many AMD chips show up in a state of malfunction. The biggest malfunction is not directly their fault I am guessing - it has to do with the inability of them to update to service pack 3 for XP on many systems. The second case is less promising - they seem to have a thing about them which causes them to drastically over-heat, sometimes melting right through the mother board, something I have yet to see with an Intel chip.

Thus far, and I am rather new at fixing these boxes, is that I would very much avoid AMD as well as avoid buying anything from acer computers or any pure priority wear computers like Sony and a number of Dell's. In the latter cases you get things like a "new" size for a power supply, which is then dropped from production such that if you ever have a problem (which oddly enough seem common for such boxes) you can't get a replacement for under $80 - in short, the kind of unethical crap that governments should make illegal (in my opinion) is rampant in such boxes.

Anyway - that's my take from the fix-it shop.

JN4OldSchool
21st September 2009, 04:03 PM
When I worked as a mechanic we used to get more Fords in the shop. They used to have bad transmissions and they also overheated when you blocked the radiator. Stay away from Fords! :)

barry905
22nd September 2009, 04:07 AM
I have used (almost) exclusively AMD processors for the last 10 years (Durons, Athlons, XPs, Semprons and X2s). I used to use PCChips motherboards, but they would all die after a couple of years, so I switched to ASUS. The ASUS boards are reliable, and I have never had a processor failure.

So I would say that the AMD processors are reliable, but then I don't overclock them!

Demz
22nd September 2009, 04:22 AM
When I worked as a mechanic we used to get more Fords in the shop. They used to have bad transmissions and they also overheated when you blocked the radiator. Stay away from Fords! :)why doesnt that surprise me sean, just bout every car i see with problems on the road or wherever are fords

JohnnyLinux
22nd September 2009, 04:44 AM
So I would say that the AMD processors are reliable, but then I don't overclock them!

I don't think many of his customers overclock them though :D
If they knew how to overclock they would not be going to a PC shop.

I used to like AMD's until my current build with a Core2Duo, it's so good I want upgrade to a Core2Quad just after 5 months of use. Really like my E8400

Demz
22nd September 2009, 04:47 AM
you rolling in money timmy?

JohnnyLinux
22nd September 2009, 06:22 AM
No :(
I have no job right now. Six months ago I was buying parts for my build.( I did a thread here on my system) Now I'm just waiting for "free" money ;)

opencraft
22nd September 2009, 12:09 PM
I feel lucky .. 4 years on an old AMD processor ( Sempron 2600+ 1600GHz ) and it still works like a charm.

John the train
22nd September 2009, 12:23 PM
My two desktops run AMD processors and no problems, but then my laptop ( built 1998? ), that I'm posting from at the moment, runs a Pentium 2, and just keeps on keeping on, despite having served a spell as my sole computer. BTW JN4, I owned 2 Fords ( UK models ) and wouldn't have another if it came free with the breakfast cereal!

lollysticky
22nd September 2009, 10:44 PM
i just bought a Phenom X3 720 Black Edition, and i overclocked it to 3,4 Ghz without any trouble. This processor costs next to nothing and you can practically triple its value just by overclocking it.

It runs my fedora 10 server and I must say; it's the best processor I ever had for this kind of money!

Andre Gompel
22nd September 2009, 11:03 PM
First I have used AMD for ever, including on note books, and never had an issue!
They are "solid as a rock", and never exhibited divide bugs, etc...
Also AMD are much better value than most Intel chips, too...
At this point I have no reason or rational reason to switch to Intel.

If I wanted a very low power CPU, the ARM based solution (mostly from NVIDIA), or the VIA CPUS would also be an excellent alternative. I also believe that on the low power side, the X86 architecture will ever be competitive with a ARM (or MIPS) based CPU. It is anyway an obsolete one.

Everything seems to indicate that the Nvidia/ARM-Cortex based is the way to go, in the low power area.
The question may be the sue of multiple cores, for NVIDIA and others like VIA.

Also do we need a monopole of any vendor?
I am sure that Nvidia would not mind to end the Intel monopoly... and replace it with an NVIDIA one.

Finalzone
23rd September 2009, 07:27 AM
Screw Nvidia. Tile-based graphic card with ARM processor is the future (it can be found on IPhone and other mobile device).

stevea
12th October 2009, 07:50 AM
I won't wade into the Intel vs AMD technical debate, but I have to say I'm concerned about AMDs viability as a company. They could easily fold in the next few years and that would be bad news for all I think.

On the MOBO front - I've had good experiences w/ ASUS too, but if you read the reports I think their Q/A may be slipping. I read the NewEgg and other customer reviews and they are gaining a lot of bad reviews. DOAs and non-working features.

Demz
12th October 2009, 07:54 AM
AMD will be around for a long time i think... even if its a smaller company

coffee412
13th October 2009, 10:35 AM
AMD Vs. Intel is like jack in the beanstalk.

I agree with you that AMD will be around for a long time. I have been using AMD for years since they got into the market with the 386 chip. I love the price to performance ratio and have never had one fail on me yet.

AMD keeps intel competitive.
AMD is innovative
AMD is Cheaper
AMD is the underdog.

What I really enjoy is buying their stock at 4 and selling at 10 or more :D

Jake
13th October 2009, 04:24 PM
I prefer AMD, only had one die on me, and that was due to a power surge (Which would have killed any CPU, as it also killed motherboard, and HDD & PSU)

Still using my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ :eek:

Although I want to top out my board and stick a 3700+ on it, but can't find any socket 754 ones :(

But even so, my PC can still handle everything I need it to do, so really. My PC upgrade can wait until I can afford a top of the range AMD box. Though personally I'm waiting for AMD's next desktop processors. Thought about building a system with the Six Core Opterons... until I added up the motherboard pricing ram etc & see the price.

marvin_ita
13th October 2009, 04:51 PM
I test many CPUs for an online magazine and I can just say you:
If you need brute force (i.e. video encoding), Intel is your choice.
If you need a general purpouse (i.e. home or office use), AMD has the best performance and is cheaper.

And my last Intel CPU was a Pentium 133, after that I switched to AMD, never got a fault, also on many PC I assembled for friends...

droidhacker
13th October 2009, 05:52 PM
AMD's melting through the mainboard?
How old are these things?
You realize that all the chips they've made in the last few years will slow and shut down before overheating... don't you?

Now for the melt throughs... this is probably the issue;

First off, must all be old parts.
1) Laptops are notorious for overheating (since they are very easy to plug up).
2) CAT OWNERS (laptop or desktop) since cat fur will plug up CPU heat sink's very easily and quickly,
3) BUDGET computers -- AMD has always had a significant price advantage compared with intel, so all the el-super-cheapo's with the tin can case, the all-in-one micro-ATX mainboard, etc., and particularly when combined with the extra cheap $3 fan and heatsink.... disaster waiting to happen.

FYI: I've seen plenty of intels melting through the mainboard. I've even seen an intel chip CRACK from heat.

Jake
13th October 2009, 06:12 PM
AMD's melting through the mainboard?
How old are these things?
You realize that all the chips they've made in the last few years will slow and shut down before overheating... don't you?

Now for the melt throughs... this is probably the issue;

First off, must all be old parts.
1) Laptops are notorious for overheating (since they are very easy to plug up).
2) CAT OWNERS (laptop or desktop) since cat fur will plug up CPU heat sink's very easily and quickly,
3) BUDGET computers -- AMD has always had a significant price advantage compared with intel, so all the el-super-cheapo's with the tin can case, the all-in-one micro-ATX mainboard, etc., and particularly when combined with the extra cheap $3 fan and heatsink.... disaster waiting to happen.

FYI: I've seen plenty of intels melting through the mainboard. I've even seen an intel chip CRACK from heat.It's not just cats that can cause it, other animal fur can also.

JN4OldSchool
13th October 2009, 06:17 PM
FYI, my two AMD laptops run cooler than my Intel. All are identical HP DV6700z models. But there could be other factors involved and 1 Intel against 2 AMDs does not a benchmark make.

droidhacker
15th October 2009, 02:49 PM
It's not just cats that can cause it, other animal fur can also.

Sure can, but what animal is more likely to sit on your computer... a cat or a dog? The dog will probably stay on the floor, or at best jump up on the chair (if it's small enough of a dog). Cat will walk all over everything, sit by the air intake and hack up hairballs, hence cat is much more likely to cause the thing to be plugged up.

Aside from that, what other kinds of furry animals are likely to be running around in someone's house? Mice? Maybe someone has a ferret? Certainly nothing likely to have anywhere NEAR the amount of fur.

Basically, by far the most common furry pets are cats and dogs, and since a dog isn't going to sit on your computer, it is highly unlikely that its fur will plug the thing up, which means that BY FAR, the greatest culprit for animal fur getting sucked into your computer will be cat.

ON TOP OF THAT, cat fur tends to be finer than dog fur and much more likely to float in the air (and therefore get sucked in). Most dog fur is heavy and drops straight to the ground rather than drifting around.

One of the MANY reasons why I would never allow a cat into my house. Even to visit. The two other significant reasons are allergies, and the fact that it would get killed by my dog -- the fur of which, FYI, does not get sucked in, even if the computer sits on the floor. Most I'll ever find in a computer is a couple of hairs. I have a cousin with a cat, her computers have to be cleaned from cat fur at no greater interval than 2 months, otherwise it gets plugged up and will start shutting down. The cat sits on the desk right over the air intake.

Dan
15th October 2009, 04:46 PM
I have been instructed by my cat to post the following:

"Yeah. That's ok. We don't think much of you, either."

http://www.zyloo-enterprises.com/graphics/nasty-cat.jpg

<..:p..>

miltonhork
16th October 2009, 04:33 AM
Hi
Price! I switched to using AMD processors long ago for this reason alone! I have yet to see a failure in ANY AMD chip in the 6 years I have been using AMD! As far as speed is concerned, you will find many people and many arguments about which is faster but considering you are talking in nanoseconds, I would like to see someone who could detect the difference in operating speeds by 2 identically configured PCs with different chips!

Jake
18th October 2009, 02:51 PM
Sure can, but what animal is more likely to sit on your computer... a cat or a dog? The dog will probably stay on the floor, or at best jump up on the chair (if it's small enough of a dog). Cat will walk all over everything, sit by the air intake and hack up hairballs, hence cat is much more likely to cause the thing to be plugged up.

Aside from that, what other kinds of furry animals are likely to be running around in someone's house? Mice? Maybe someone has a ferret? Certainly nothing likely to have anywhere NEAR the amount of fur.

Basically, by far the most common furry pets are cats and dogs, and since a dog isn't going to sit on your computer, it is highly unlikely that its fur will plug the thing up, which means that BY FAR, the greatest culprit for animal fur getting sucked into your computer will be cat.

ON TOP OF THAT, cat fur tends to be finer than dog fur and much more likely to float in the air (and therefore get sucked in). Most dog fur is heavy and drops straight to the ground rather than drifting around.

One of the MANY reasons why I would never allow a cat into my house. Even to visit. The two other significant reasons are allergies, and the fact that it would get killed by my dog -- the fur of which, FYI, does not get sucked in, even if the computer sits on the floor. Most I'll ever find in a computer is a couple of hairs. I have a cousin with a cat, her computers have to be cleaned from cat fur at no greater interval than 2 months, otherwise it gets plugged up and will start shutting down. The cat sits on the desk right over the air intake.Well. That's only if you let them isn't it? I have 2 cats (And both of them love to torment the dog next door by sitting on the fence making it run from one end of it's garden to the other and making it bark, is quite funny! Heck, even once see my eldest cat chasing a dog! :D)

But yeah, my machine I roughly clean it out (Or rather used to) once, a month, and never find cats hairs. As for machines on the floor? That's the best way to suck up dust into a machine. (Afterall, where does falling dust go?)

The closest my cats get to my PC is my chair, and from their on I stop them (Heck most of the time, they're not even allowed in the room with PC's)

Yet, even after not dusting out my PC for 3 months, their was no cat hairs. So really it's down to what you let your cat do of how much hair gets in.

JohnnyLinux
12th November 2009, 08:37 PM
It seems things are looking good for AMD. :)

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzY5Ng

daher
12th November 2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry nothing to do for this thread. I want to post some thread, can someone tell me how i can do it. Thanks

JN4OldSchool
12th November 2009, 09:06 PM
Good Golly miss Molly, this thread managed to stay open? Sheesh...

Dan
12th November 2009, 09:12 PM
Sorry nothing to do for this thread. I want to post some thread, can someone tell me how i can do it. ThanksSure!

Go to this page and select the function you wish to access, and you can read up on the mechanics of it there.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_forums_threads _posts
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_vb3_reading_posting

leigh123linux
12th November 2009, 09:14 PM
Good Golly miss Molly, this thread managed to stay open? Sheesh...

Is that a request to close it? :rolleyes:

Dan
12th November 2009, 09:20 PM
Beat ya too it! Nyah, Nyah, Nyah! <..:D..>

leigh123linux
12th November 2009, 10:43 PM
Beat ya too it! Nyah, Nyah, Nyah! <..:D..>

I wonder if a admin can tachy another admin ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tachy%20Goes%20To%20Coventry