PDA

View Full Version : Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN

Rayskee80
19th September 2009, 04:23 AM
This is my first post! I am a brand new Linux fan and am determined to understand how this system works!
I am running Fedora 11. My wired NIC works just fine. I am having problems with wireless.

I ran lspci -v to find my driver details, found it online and got it working so it would show up in the network configuration. I am having problems getting it to work from there. I am used to getting windows to install the driver and then being able to search for wireless networks. When I try to activate it i get:

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. WL-138G V2 802.11g WLAN PCI Card
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
Memory at fdefe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan1 ; Invalid argument.

Determining IP information for wlan1... failed

Can anybody help?
Thanks- Ray

ppesci
19th September 2009, 05:40 AM
Use the network configuration utility and change the mode of the card from "Master" to "Managed".

I think that will solve your problem.

BTW: Welcome to this forum.

HTH

bbfuller
19th September 2009, 11:08 AM
Hello Rayskee80

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a broadcom 4318 then you will need to install some firmware to get it to work. You should also then use NetworkManager to control it. NetworkManager lives in the notification area of the panel in both KDE and Gnome, just to the left of the clock.

For both of my 4318's that makes the process very easy. Going through network configuration in any of it's incarnations is the hard way of doing things for no real benefit.

If you haven't installed the b43 firmware or you want to talk about NetworkManager, post back.