PDA

View Full Version : GNOME crashes on login

onuhwt
15th September 2009, 03:27 AM
Hey guys

I'm relatively new to Linux and I'm having a problem logging into gnome on F11. It was working fine and then it froze on me and I had to restart. Now after the restart If I attempt to log in it will start to login but about midway through the login sound the screen will go black and then the login screen will re-appear.

I know the problem is within my GNOME settings cause I can log into KDE without issue, and I can log into GNOME with a different account. without problems as well.

I know you guys will need more information in order to help me but I don't really have a clue on what information that is so let me know what config file I need to post here. Thanks in advance

arirushan
17th September 2009, 02:52 AM
Perhaps because of broken gnome config files in your home directory.
Next time before you login press ctrl + alt + f2 to go into console mode then login with root login
after that go to your home directory, rename your .gconf directory to something else.
For example : mv .gconf .gconf-bak then back to gui login.
try login with your user account.
Hopefully it will create you with new gnome configuration files.

bob
17th September 2009, 03:05 AM
I think you're experiencing this: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=230093

tmick
17th September 2009, 03:05 AM
might check this bug and see if it applies to the situation: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=494838

yanqele
15th May 2012, 05:07 PM
A NEW AVATAR ?
I have had this problem for a few months. Black screen with the Oh, no! message at each boot.
Being fed up, I installed and used XFCE4: no problem.
Then I noticed: following login, XFCE4 immediately issues a prompt for the SSH-key passphrase. This is a wanted feature programmed in my .profile inherited from Scientific Linux since my first Fedora 10!
Fedora 16 + Gnome 3 used to prompt as well and I used it in my office. But I got sick and did not need keyed SSH in the hospital nor now at home ... and I failed to notice the disappearance of the passphrase prompt under Gnome!
Trivially SOLVED by yum install x11-ssh-askpass
This explicitly OpenSSH functionality has obviously diappeared from the OpenSSH package.

More generally, when getting the "Oh, no!", better check human memories for a missing prompt or message expected during login!