PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 11 Gnome Window Manager is Very Slow with S3 ProSavage DDR Video Card

jonbjoseph
4th September 2009, 08:47 PM
The Gnome Window Manager worked fine with the ProSavage video card under Fedora 10. But after switching to Fedora 11, the Gnome Window Manager's response to graphics requests (such as selecting or moving a window) has been very slow and choppy, when running from the Live CD and from the Hard Drive. The hardware configuration is the following:
-S3 ProSavage video card
-AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 1700+ 1.46 GHz
-2 GB RAM

After installing Fedora 11 to my Hard Drive, I installed the following packages, hoping that would fix the problem:
xorg-x11-drivers.i586
system-config-display.noarch

After installing the packages and restarting my machine, Fedora 11 detected ProSavage card. The 'savage' driver was loaded during startup (according to dmesg) and the ProSavage card appeared in the Display configuration, when I selected System|Administration|Display. Unfortunately, I didn't detect much improvement.
Here's the entry from dmesg:
[drm] Initialized savage 2.4.1 20050313 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0

As a comparison, I tried running the Fedora 11 Live CD on a box with an ATI Radeon video card and the Gnome Window Manager was smooth and responsive.

I'm not sure what to do. Are there options in the xorg.conf file that I should set?

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonbjoseph
27th November 2009, 05:09 PM
I installed a EVGA e-GeForce FX 5200 gaphics card in the AGP 4x slot in my mainboard (VIA KM266 chipset) and the graphics work fine now. Moving and resizing of windows is very responsive. I'm quite pleased.