PDA

View Full Version : it mounts the HD on the wrong user profile

De Baimbo
4th September 2009, 02:01 PM
Here's the weird problem.
My dad and I share the same PC, so we have our own user profiles on our fedora11.
There are also two hard disks in our computer (I mean actual hard disks, not partitions). When I mount the 2nd hard disk on my profile everything works well.
When my dad tries to mount it (on his profile) the 2nd hard disk icon totally disappears and he can't find the disk anywhere on the system. In that moment if we switch to my user profile (it doesn't matter if I was already logged in or not) we find that disk mounted. There's the icon on the desktop and everything, I can read and write files to it. But I can't unmount it, 'cause it says it was mounted by another user.

So, I can use that disk but he can't. I think this could have something to do with the volume mounting policies of the system but I can't find the place to modify them.

giulix
4th September 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't know whether it will fix your problem (I am the only user on my system), but I think polkit-gnome-authorization is what you're looking for. Open a terminal and type

polkit-gnome-authorization

then scroll down to the `hal' section (subsections device-access and devicekit)

De Baimbo
4th September 2009, 06:48 PM
thanks, that didn't solve the problem but it's good to know it. By the way, what do exactly mean those "anyone,console,active console" on polkit-gnome-authorization?

De Baimbo
9th September 2009, 09:03 AM
I noticed something new. A bad thing though.
When my dad tries to mount the hd and then tries to end his session the screen goes black, which means (I think) that gdm freezes. Should I file a bug report to the fedora guys?

giulix
9th September 2009, 09:28 AM
Historically, the console is the terminal physically attached to the computer,. Not sure what "active console" means... Anyone, is obviously anyone, console included. Have you checked the system and X logs with regards to your most recent problem?

De Baimbo
9th September 2009, 09:54 AM
Have you checked the system and X logs with regards to your most recent problem?

how do I do that?

giulix
9th September 2009, 01:24 PM
The two log files are /var/log/messages (system log) and /var/log/Xorg.0.log (X log)