PDA

View Full Version : My Respin will not go past the Slash screen

mwanafunzi1
3rd September 2009, 11:26 PM
Hi, I stayed up 3 days just to make a custom F11 spin. Everything went on smoothly, no unresolved dependencies etc. The desktop environment I selected for the respin was KDE and in total the packages for dvd were 2078. I then proceeded to run it in virtualbox-ose and to much disbelief it would not go past the splash screen (the blue screen with a bubble) after a successful install and clicking the reboot button thereafter. I tried running it run level 3 and 5 by erasing the lines rghb quiet and adding 3 or 5 so as to see the sequence of events. These are the last statements that are displayed to the point where it is stuck:

clocksource tsc unstable cdelta = -126558589 ns
EXT4-fs: delayed allocation enabled
EXT4-fs: file extents enabled
EXT4-fs: mballoc enabled
EXT4-fs: mounted filesystem dm-0 with ordered data mode
type=1404 audit(1251990897.710:2): enforcing=1 old_enforcing=0 audit=4294967295 ses=4294967295

Please note that this meant I could not continue and set-up a user account, username, time etc. The same statements were displayed when I tried installing it on my machine(not virtualbox).
After reinstalling the official F11 DVD which has no problems I checked just what happen after the last point above and this is what i saw:

clocksource tsc unstable cdelta = -126558589 ns
EXT4-fs: delayed allocation enabled
EXT4-fs: file extents enabled
EXT4-fs: mballoc enabled
EXT4-fs: mounted filesystem dm-0 with ordered data mode
type=1404 audit(1251990897.710:2): enforcing=1 old_enforcing=0 audit=4294967295 ses=4294967295
welcome to fedora
press I for interactive startup.
starting udev:
setting hostname.........etc
A login screen then appears.

Where did I go wrong; I excluded both the anaconda update(has serious bugs) and the kernel updates and used the old ones just in case they were cause of this problem. I have made 4 custom spins with the same problem.
Please help me fix this problem.

stoat
4th September 2009, 02:24 AM
Hello mwanafunzi1,

I don't really know the answer, but the thought I had concerned that "enforcing=1 old_enforcing=0". Maybe it's sitting there doing a relabel for SELinux which can take a while. But in my experience, that usually makes the graphic screen go away to the classic text screen while the relabeling proceeds. So it's not usually a mystery what's going on in that situation. Anyway, it shouldn't really hurt anything to try booting with SELinux in the permissive state by editing the kernel command line at the boot menu to add enforcing=0 to the end of it. See if it will boot like that.

mwanafunzi1
4th September 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Stoat. Your suggestion worked, I reinstalled one of the custom spin disks I had made and added the words "enforcing=0" in grub. This allowed me to finally proceed to the last steps of installation and create a use account, username etc.
This has definitely increased my curiosity about SELinux. I will definitely do some more research, in the meanwhile I am waiting to see what happens if I boot in enforcing=1 mode.
Thanks again Stoat.