PDA

View Full Version : How to install GnoMenu?

infernosoft
31st August 2009, 02:50 AM
How do you install GnoMenu in Fedora (specifically, Fedora 11)?

As su, I downloaded the tarball, unzipped it, 'cd'd into the directory, ran "make install".

I right-click the panel, click "Add to panel...", and select GnoMenu to add, and it WON'T ADD TO THE PANEL.

what's wrong? :(

The Mishanator
11th September 2009, 11:21 PM
i would run cd ~/Desktop/gnomenu (im not sure if this will work though, use the directory of where it is unzipped.) then run the make install.

good luck

The Mishanator
11th September 2009, 11:24 PM
perhaps you are missing libs? whats the output of ./configure

sonoran
12th September 2009, 02:40 AM
You might also check the file permissions on the new files, and make sure they are executable.

You don't usually need to be root to compile. Run "make" as ordinary user, then su to run "make install" so that you have permissions to write in directories user doesn't.

sonoran
12th September 2009, 02:48 AM
As su, I downloaded the tarball, unzipped it, 'cd'd into the directory, ran "make install".

It just occurred to me - that "make install" is two separate steps, right? First you run configure, if necessary, then run make to compile, then when that finishes, run make install.

Did you get any error messages from "make install"?

blueboy
26th October 2009, 10:19 AM
I installed gnomenu by #make install , added it to panel but when i click on it gnomenu wont open. what seems to be the problem?

MarionCobretti
27th October 2009, 05:35 AM
What version are you using? I was able to get 1.9.94 to work, but a previous version I tried, 1.9.9-2.1 did not, and gave me exactly the behavior you described--successful installation, but inability to get it to add the the panel. By the way, when it fails to add, are you getting the OAFIID error? If so, see the workarounds described in the tarball.

blueboy
27th October 2009, 05:14 PM
My GnoMenu version is 1.9.94 it was not working but i got it working today. I think the problem was a missing icon file,which i solved by copying the icon file from another computer(Ubuntu 8.04 installed) to my laptop (Fedora 10 installed.)

Milena
8th March 2010, 01:37 AM
I'm unable to install GnoMenu on Fedora 12 x64. I replaced all /usr/lib with /usr/lib64 in the makefile as suggested in the readme. make install fails and if i run make install without the /lib64 editing it runs successful but there is no GnoMenu when I browse the Add-to-Panel list. Is it possible to install the openSuSE or Mandriva rpms as there is no Fedora package or any other Solution ? Thanks in Advance.

skyxn3t
9th November 2010, 11:39 PM
I'm unable to install GnoMenu on Fedora 12 x64. I replaced all /usr/lib with /usr/lib64 in the makefile as suggested in the readme. make install fails and if i run make install without the /lib64 editing it runs successful but there is no GnoMenu when I browse the Add-to-Panel list. Is it possible to install the openSuSE or Mandriva rpms as there is no Fedora package or any other Solution ? Thanks in Advance.

Were you able to install it?