PDA

View Full Version : news reader

jimballard
24th August 2009, 08:19 PM
I was looking for a good news reader like grabbit on windows
Which is your best client for fedora , I need some experience ( i was looking for nntpgrab )
Thanx for answers

kulbirsaini
24th August 2009, 08:43 PM
Liferea Feed Reader is one. I think its there by default. Try and see if it suits your needs :)

jimballard
24th August 2009, 09:02 PM
in fact i'm searching for downloading binary Usenet not newsreader sorry

PabloTwo
25th August 2009, 12:09 AM
Check out LottaNZB at this site. (http://www.lottanzb.org/2009/06/new-fedora-packages/)

sidebrnz
25th August 2009, 12:41 AM
Try pan; I've been using it since F 9. It's robust, full-featured and one of the few news readers to get the Good Nettiquette Award.

Dangermouse
25th August 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi i use klibido which i found best for me

LinuxTom
25th August 2009, 01:29 PM
The old Windows app XNews works well under Wine and is free, about the only Windows app I ever liked, and still use under Linux.

PatMcLJr
25th August 2009, 01:59 PM
XNews!
Now I have a good reason to install Wine.

Thanks LinuxTom,
Pat Jr.

RupertPupkin
25th August 2009, 08:07 PM
Emacs has a built-in news reader.

stefan1975
25th August 2009, 08:46 PM
+1 for pan. it is one of the few GTK apps i just *have* to use on KDE. darn i wish there was an equally decent QT usenet reader.

LinuxTom
26th August 2009, 12:50 AM
Pat, if you want to try out XNews under Wine on Fedora, disregard anything that you find about configuration on the net. My experience running it through all Fedora releases is that first of all it prefers to be configured as "Windows XP" in the Wine Configuration utility. You will need to copy the following files from a Windows XP machine and place them in the directory where XNews.exe resides...

COMCTL32.DLL
OLE32.DLL
OLEAUT32.DLL
RICHED20.DLL
RICHED32.DLL

Then use the Wine Configuration tool in the Libraries settings tab to add overrides for those DLL's. Set all as (native,builtin).

Most people say that only a couple of the files are needed, but it really doesn't work properly unless all are present. And I'm not sure about running with Vista DLL's.