PDA

View Full Version : Fedora - Mac dual boot with Fodora on external USB - no yaboot after install

rabbit74
24th August 2009, 02:38 AM
Hi I am an old ubuntu user trying to create a dual boot on my iBook G4 PPC.

I have installed Fedora to an external USB disc, (40G), but after install boots straight into OSX. There does not seem to be a Yaboot or Grub.

I tried this before installing fedora on the same machine, installing Fedora to an external Firewire drive and it worked perfectly. If the firewire drive is plugged in it boots straight into Fedora and if the Firewire drive is unplugged it boots into OSX. Very clean and easy.

But, with the USB drive I can't get it to boot Fedora after the install is done.

How to configure the Boot?

Any help is appreciated.

Powel

FYi - If it worked with the firewire drive why bother with the USB drive, you ask? The Firewire drive is very old and nearly dead, but I had a newish 2.5", 40G drive sitting on a shelf that should be more reliable.

ppesci
26th August 2009, 07:33 AM
Well, I think the problem is in open firmware. The last I remember, nor PowerPC nor Intel Macs can boot from USB drive. There is no way OF recognizing the USB drive at start up but you can try entering in OF at boot.

I never try to do in my Powerbook, but in the MacBook is a known problem EFI USB management are plain wrong. Firewire yes and USB no. If you can fin a solution, post here.

Maybe your machine can have an firmware update. Check that in Apple web site.

HTH