PDA

View Full Version : Basic Questions: Version? Upgrading?

wheatland
21st August 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm totally unfamiliar with Linux.

I've got a Linux Server running here at our business, and I need to figure out how to get an online backup service for my data.

To do that, I've got to start by knowing what version of Linux I'm running, because the backup service requires Fedora 10.

I'm a totally Windows person... have used windows since the beginning (yes early 80's)... and know very little about how to even navigate and find my way around in Linux.

I found this browser called Konqueror on the Linux server, and it says it is Konqueror 3.4.1-0.fc4.1.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the phrase "Fedora Core" but I don't know where to look to find out what version of Fedora I've got. If I'm not running at least Fedora 10, I may need to see if I can and how to upgrade... but I don't even know where to find out my system specs to see if I meet the requirements (300Mhz, 92mb Ram, 75 MB free disc space)

Can anyone help?

Be nice, please... I'm a total Newbie here. :)

joe.pelayo
21st August 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm totally unfamiliar with Linux.

I've got a Linux Server running here at our business, and I need to figure out how to get an online backup service for my data.

To do that, I've got to start by knowing what version of Linux I'm running, because the backup service requires Fedora 10.

I'm a totally Windows person... have used windows since the beginning (yes early 80's)... and know very little about how to even navigate and find my way around in Linux.

I found this browser called Konqueror on the Linux server, and it says it is Konqueror 3.4.1-0.fc4.1.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the phrase "Fedora Core" but I don't know where to look to find out what version of Fedora I've got. If I'm not running at least Fedora 10, I may need to see if I can and how to upgrade... but I don't even know where to find out my system specs to see if I meet the requirements (300Mhz, 92mb Ram, 75 MB free disc space)

Can anyone help?

Be nice, please... I'm a total Newbie here. :)
Hi.

According to the Konqueror version you mentioned, and since you read "Fedora Core", that is at most Fedora Core 6. I vaguely remember FC6 having KDE 3.5 so I suppose you have FC4 or FC5.

If you open a terminal (menu Accesories, System Tools) and type uname -a you'll get more info.

Good luck,
Joe.

wheatland
21st August 2009, 04:40 PM
Alright.
I see FC4 in the line of info that gave me.
Now I guess I need to figure out if my system can be upgraded to Fedora 10.
1) How do I check the hardware to see if it can handle it?
2) How would I go about upgrading the OS?

I'm sure I'm missing something, so don't be afraid to tell me if I'm not even asking the right questions at this point.

wheatland
21st August 2009, 04:55 PM
Someone else told me some commands to run. Here's the results:

bash-3.00# cat /etc/*release*
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
LSB_VERSION="1.3"
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
bash-3.00# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 515340 kB
MemFree: 180416 kB
Buffers: 20644 kB
Cached: 172904 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 209676 kB
Inactive: 95944 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 515340 kB
LowFree: 180416 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 4 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 169384 kB
Slab: 21168 kB
CommitLimit: 257668 kB
Committed_AS: 504996 kB
PageTables: 3320 kB
VmallocTotal: 507896 kB
VmallocUsed: 2692 kB
VmallocChunk: 504912 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
Hugepagesize: 4096 kB
bash-3.00#
bash-3.00# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2793.790
cache size : 1024 KB
bash-3.00# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 34G 6.4G 25G 21% /
/dev/sda1 99M 14M 81M 14% /boot
/dev/shm 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm

Looks like I'm running Fedora Core 4.
Do the system specs seem powerful enough to upgrade to Fedora 10?
If I were to upgrade, is it a fresh install (wipe the drive and install new) or will the system upgrade itself to the new version? This is a server and there's lots of settings that I don't want to lose.

JN4OldSchool
21st August 2009, 05:52 PM
an upgrade to F10 is probably a bit ridiculous at this point. The best way would be to do it a step at a time and that means trying to find iso's that are not commonly available. You would put more sweat and blood into that then just copying the settings and doing a fresh install. Can you find an alternative to the backup that would allow you to retain FC4? This is not recommended but as long as FC4 is locked down and you never install anything else it "should" be safe enough.

If it were me I would just suck it up and start over. I know that is the last thing you want to hear...

BTW, CentOS is a better bet for a server as you would not run into this as much, CentOS is supported for 5 years I believe.

markkuk
21st August 2009, 11:59 PM

Find a different backup service. Fedora releases have a short lifetime, and F10 will reach its End of Life by the end of this year. Fedora in general isn't a good choice for a business server.

Fedora Core 4 reached End of Life in August 2006, your system hasn't received any security updates in three years and is probably full of exploitable holes.

joe.pelayo
22nd August 2009, 12:54 AM
Find a different backup service. Fedora releases have a short lifetime, and F10 will reach its End of Life by the end of this year. Fedora in general isn't a good choice for a business server.

Fedora Core 4 reached End of Life in August 2006, your system hasn't received any security updates in three years and is probably full of exploitable holes.
Would it be more dangerous to use that outdated system than Windows?

Thanks,
Joe.

michael12345
24th August 2009, 08:12 AM
I do backups for much of my living, which makes me wonder why your provider would require fc10. If they have *nix or bsd(unix) on the other side it shouldn't matter unless they have some narrow client software. That would be like saying you had to have XP build number 5.001.00023.33433 to install the app. (I have no idea if that is a real build number but you get the point.)

Any chance of you linking in pm or the post who the backup provider is so I can answer appropriately?
Also if there is a linux server at the business, I would assume there is a linux administrator of sorts, if they are onsite, I would certainly have them set it up while you watched.

Also beware of some providers. I had a customer using a provider that people see commonly advertised , not Mozy, I feel I should say that since they are on tv alot in my area running over computers with lawnmowers......, who's backups were corrupted or damaged somehow on their provider side and the provider said tough, and refunded the money for the last month. The data was worth far more, and luckily it was a backup test. The provider was quickly ditched. Point being, do research on the company, there are lots of 'feedback' on the providers you see advertised for backups.