PDA

View Full Version : akmod-nvidia isn't working for me.

Silpheed2K
21st August 2009, 07:43 AM
Since kmod is taking so long I've decided to try akmod-nvidia... but everytime my system starts up... I get a failed message for the akmod... I got kernel-devel installed.
Here's the output from my terminal

~]# service akmods restart
Checking kmods exist for 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586 [ OK ]
Files needed for building modules against kernel
2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586 could not be found as the following
directories are missing:
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586/
/lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586/build/ [FAILED]

What do I need to have or do to make this mysterious thing work?

edit: I was on a previous kernel when I typed that in my terminal. I typed that to give you at least a clue of the problem it's giving me. When I boot on the newer kernel I disable desktop effects.
Also, is there any clean up that needs to be done after this whole rebuild process takes place?

ozjd
21st August 2009, 07:51 AM
Have a look at the nvidia thread in my signature. It has detailed instructions for installing akmod-nvidia.

Silpheed2K
21st August 2009, 08:19 AM
I accidentally turned on desktop effects from CCSM... does anybody know how to turn this off from a LiveCD? my desktop isn't even visible now.. just a blank white screen.

edit: nevermind, I got it.. I moved the startup file out of ~/.config/autostart/ to keep it from starting when I log in.

edit 2: I already have all of those packages installed and the nVidia thread didn't solve my problem. Does anybody know what the problem may be?

edit 3: solved it.. I didnt have the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages. Last kernel-devel I had apparently was a Fedora 10 package

su -
yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers

I got that from this page http://www.kernelhardware.org/fedora-11-install-nvidia-driver-kmod-nvidia/ and installed those on top of some of the stuff I used from the nVidia thread ozjd referred me to.

ozjd
21st August 2009, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure how you installed akmod but it usually brings in the kernel headers etc as dependencies.