PDA

View Full Version : newbie: launching GUI from terminal?

jdetwile
20th August 2009, 02:12 PM
Really basic question, but can't locate answer....

Having logged in (to Fedora 11) with a terminal session, what command do I give to spawn the Gnome GUI desktop environment?

Background:

I'm running two Fedora boxes: one local, and one at the other end of my building (on fast LAN). I have full control/ownership of both boxes.

On the local box, I log-in to my vanilla F11 build, and I get the Gnome GUI automatically. Then I can open a terminal window, 'ssh -X -l myself remotebox; cinelerra' to run Cinelerra nicely in local desktop windows.

But sometimes I want to see my typical user desktop for the remote box. Now, IF the remote box is ALREADY running Gnome, I can VNC to it, etc. But, once having logged-out of the remote box, VNC closes and won't show me a GUI login page. (BTW: The remote box usually has no monitor, as well as being out of reach. So schlepping over to logon to it is a real pain.)

So, here's the thing: I can login (to terminal session) and can bring up programs in local windows. But WHAT program do I launch in order to bring up Gnome??

Thanks!

bart3005
23rd August 2009, 08:24 AM
the command startx will run the GUI.

kulbirsaini
23rd August 2009, 08:29 AM
Use startx -- :1 to spawn a new session in case one is already running.

scottro
23rd August 2009, 12:49 PM
If that doesn't bring up Gnome, then, assuming Gnome is installed, of course, create a file in your home directory called .xinitrc (Note the period before the name). In there put

exec gnome-session