PDA

View Full Version : for stability: f9, f10, or f11?

icthy
19th August 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi,

My hard drive just crashed and I want to reinstall fedora on a new disk. Been running F9, but I'm thinking about moving up in the world. I prefer more stable vs. more cutting edge; of the flavors of Fedora, what would you recommend? 9, 10, or 11. I figure 11 has been out a bit, but I wonder if people still have any issues with it? Or is the oldest most likely the most stable? Or should I go with the happy middle?

Major software I run is vmware workstation, matlab, and I need Sun's java for some stuff.

Yes, I know it's Fedora and not necessarily meant to be stable. But I like Fedora, so I ask our opinion of the three options above (i.e not CentOS).

Many thanks.

William Haller
19th August 2009, 10:21 PM
Running F10 at home. No issues. Running F11 at work. Some recent nvidia driver issues with kernel updates. F9 is EOL so I wouldn't consider that as an option.

I don't run the programs you mention, so can't comment on those. If it is so you can, I'd install F11 and try it. You can always back down to F10 if there's a problem since it is a fresh install. If it works you're ahead of the curve on your box going EOL. If it fails you shouldn't have lost much time for the test.

icthy
19th August 2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks William. I'll give F11 a try. I was kind of hoping no one was having huge issues with it. (I had installed F11 at home to preview it for work (where I run F9)), but didn't expect to have to make a decision this soon.