PDA

View Full Version : How to install a package *without* its supposed dependencies?

zorgoth
19th August 2009, 08:23 AM
I have wine 1.1.27 and don't want the wine 1.1.23 in the repository, but do want the wine-tools package. Problem is, it has a dependency wine-core which I do *not* want at all since I have a later version.

If anyone knows where to get regedit and winecfg from source or without this irritating dependecy issue I'm all ears.

SlowJet
19th August 2009, 09:10 AM
Deps are required or the rpm would not be asking for them.

Try www.winehq.org

SJ

zorgoth
19th August 2009, 09:46 AM
Is the rpm smart enough to figure out I have a higher version of Wine I compiled from source though? Because I have run these exact files from 1.1.27 in the past (when somehow I installed 1.1.27 on top of 1.1.23 and for some bizarre reason it worked).

zorgoth
19th August 2009, 09:51 AM
oh nvm im stupid i do have those things - they just didn't get a menu for some reason

Milena
19th August 2009, 01:32 PM
if you build and install wine from source do not use any wine packages from fedora repos, it will mess up your installation and cause problems (most likely sound problems due to wine-pulseaudio).

scottro
19th August 2009, 01:39 PM
Like Milena says. :)

Also, like SlowJet says--however, sometimes they *do* lie about what dependencies are really required. One can force an installation without the dependencies, but it can be REALLY REALLY dangerous.

Therefore, rather than explain it, I'll just say go through the rpm man page.

zorgoth
19th August 2009, 07:28 PM
Ya I figured that out. Closed btw, I have 1.1.27, winecfg, and regedit, so I'm happy.

stevea
19th August 2009, 07:54 PM
There are some *rare* good reasons to install a package w/o dependencies

The --no-deps may help or you can pull the pacackge you built frmom source and just update the db (see tha man page).

Either way keep careful track of what you did.