PDA

View Full Version : I gave up on PulseAudio -- AGAIN

JCCyC
12th August 2009, 04:49 AM
With the PulseAudio daemon running, my videos were all jerky at the start, for 5 seconds or so and no sound in that period. Independent of playback software. Eventually I removed PulseAudio, but for that I had to remove gnome-bluetooth, bluez, and gnome-bluetooth-libs, which have pulseaudio-module-bluetooth as a dependency.

And, sure as netherworld, video playback became wonderfully brisk again. Is PulseAudio good for anything?

I have a pretty powerful machine, an AMD X2 Dual Core @ 2.7 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and onboard GeForce video with proprietary drivers from RPMFusion. Absolutely NO excuse for performance issues. Here's my lspci:

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control

Now that I'm a bit more calm, maybe I didn't have to excise Bluetooth support, maybe I could disable the PulseAudio daemon startup upon login another way.

If you want more tests, I'm willing to do them. Just ask.

stoat
12th August 2009, 04:07 PM
Hello JCCyC,

You didn't mention it, so I wondered if you tried the suggestions in Silpheed2K's guide?
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=225660

JCCyC
12th August 2009, 04:33 PM
Hello JCCyC,

You didn't mention it, so I wondered if you tried the suggestions in Silpheed2K's guide?
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=225660

Mmmm, that's interesting. Bookmarking. But I don't really need Bluetooth support in this desktop, so I don't think I'll be trying that right now. I'm more likely to rebuild a gnome-bluetooth RPM that doesn't need PulseAudio.

This is shaping up to be much like the Unicode transition. It was done so half-assedly it only became viable to not reconfigure it back to ISO-8859-1 six or seven versions later.

stoat
12th August 2009, 06:52 PM
But I don't really need Bluetooth support in this desktop, so I don't think I'll be trying that right now.Well in that case, you should give some thought to doing the opposite thing meaning not to install pulseaudio or bluetooth or anything else you don't want in the first place. You could, for example, install Fedora with all packages unchecked. Fedora 11's Anaconda will install only 184 packages (and it's over in about two minutes). There's no desktop, no X, just basic stuff to run in runlevel 3 and get connected to the Internet with terminal commands to yum install only what you do want. Then reboot into runlevel 5 and your new desktop and do the usual firstboot stuff. I have been doing that for a while now and prefer it as an installation method. And IMO it's better and less disruptive never to install unwanted things compared to uninstalling them after a default installation. Honestly, I do have to tweak some things, but I have to do that with default installs, too. I realize this idea is not for everyone. Anyway, just in case you or anyone else is interested, more ideas can be had from stevea's thread entitled Micro Fedora (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=190084). It's what got me started installing this way. Just something to ponder.

P.S.: I don't install pulseaudio. I mean no disrespect to the dedicated people developing it. I just don't think I need it and don't want to spend the time to make it work right.

JCCyC
29th August 2009, 03:23 AM
I ended up downloading the gnome-bluetooth source rpm, and editing out the pulseaudio dependency, which is totally unnecessary anyway. Rebuilt it with a .1 added in the release number, rpm -Fvh on the new packages, and lo and behold, now yum remove pulseaudio doesn't take bluetooth with it.