PDA

View Full Version : Best book(s) about Fedora ... what do you recommend?

svarreby
27th February 2004, 02:12 PM
There's a few more test releases before Fedora hits the final version but already (started autumn 2003) there's a handful books about Fedora.

If any of you have read (or heard some positive respons) any books about Fedora I'd like to hear about it :) What title/author should I go for?

Should I just wait until Fedora goes final and then begin looking for them (if there's a lot of structural changes to the system etc etc)?

mhelios
27th February 2004, 04:20 PM
Well svarreby, I own and recommend "Red Hat Linux Bible: Fedora and Enterprise Edition", by Christopher Negus. Very thorough treatment of all facets of Fedora installation, configuration, administration, security issues, automation, common server setup and more. I haven't reviewed the other choices, but searching for Fedora on amazon.com will bring up a list of the most popular ones and some review by users. I like to use Amazon when I'm in the market for new books; a great resource imo.

tchung
27th February 2004, 11:16 PM
Don't forget "Red Hat Linux Fedora Unleashed" written by one of our FN Staff - Hoyt Duff :)

Here is Amazon Link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672326299/102-1173296-0762500

Thomas

svarreby
27th February 2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks for your reply!

I have looked at SAMS Fedora Unleashed for some time and it's on top of my list at the moment...

PS I didn't know that Hoyt was connected to this project... sounds promising!

serpico
28th February 2004, 05:43 AM
I bought a book called "Official Fedora Companion - Your Guide to the Fedora Project".

It's from the Red Hat press, author Nick Petreley. I recommend this book for beginners. It covers alot like installing browser plugins, Gnome and KDE desktop envirnoments, surfing the net, audio & video, images & graphics, command line, and more.

It costs about $20 US and I got it for $24 CDN at the half-price computer bookstore. They have good discounts for new books and half off older books. They even sell Fedora cd's for $12 CDN so I don't have to download it next time! The also have other distros.

Ug
29th February 2004, 08:36 PM
I've just ordered "Red Hat Linux Fedora Unleashed" from Amazon.co.uk, should get it some time this week.

Bana
4th March 2004, 02:44 AM
Feel free to post your reviews of the books in the Reviews forum, there it can be preserved forever.... :p

Jolly
4th March 2004, 10:31 AM
i use
"Fedora Red Hat Linux Bible"
(thankyou Mr Negus)
it comes with the 3 install disc's

i even take it to work so i can read it at breaks
(sad A, must get out more)

Ug
4th March 2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Bana
Feel free to post your reviews of the books in the Reviews forum, there it can be preserved forever.... :p When I get some time I will, but I need to fully digest the contents first.

I do quite like the book though, it covers a wide range of topics and goes into enough detail to give a foundation. Its networking section is particularly good I feel.

Jman
4th March 2004, 11:59 PM
I've read most of Sams Teach Yourself Red Hat Linux Fedora in 24 Hours (ISBN 0-672-32630-2). As you might expect, it has 24 chapters. It didn't take me 24 hours because I just skimmed it. It does a good job at introducing the command line first. It's a good reference for getting started with all sorts of tools.

serpico
5th March 2004, 05:09 AM
There's also Linux for Dummies too! LOL. Good book and lot's of command line goodies. I should go and find it to use again!

Ug
5th March 2004, 07:50 AM
I definately recommend the Fedora Unleashed book.

serpico
5th March 2004, 03:12 PM
Is that one of those big "bible" books? Does anyone think that there will be new books when Fedora Core2 comes out and will there be alot of differences? I wouldn't want to spend alot of money on one of these big books and have outdated info. I'm thinking there won't be too much change.

Jman
5th March 2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by serpico
Does anyone think that there will be new books when Fedora Core2 comes out and will there be alot of differences?
For sure there will be new Fedora Core 2 books, if only to include the FC2 CDs. :) I don't think the basics won't change much, like shell scripting. The sections covering the new versions of packages will be tweaked, that's all. Much of the documentation for Red Hat 9 is in some way useful for FC1, so I don't think those FC1 books be useless yet. :)

Ug
5th March 2004, 05:51 PM
They're very general about Fedora anyway.