PDA

View Full Version : How to install Wallpaper and Desktops?

Psquared
27th September 2004, 02:35 AM
I downloaded a wallpaper from gnome-look.org in compressed form. I dragged it into the desktop wallpaper panel and it shows, but I can't make it work? Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

sailor
27th September 2004, 02:45 AM
I generally save wallpapers to a folder in home directory...then right click desktop >configure desktop >wallpaper (backgrounds) then click add wallpaper and copy from directory where I saved it.
if it is compressed you will need to extract it first...Konqueror filemanager will extract as will Nautilus

Psquared
27th September 2004, 03:55 AM
I generally save wallpapers to a folder in home directory...then right click desktop >configure desktop >wallpaper (backgrounds) then click add wallpaper and copy from directory where I saved it.
if it is compressed you will need to extract it first...Konqueror filemanager will extract as will Nautilus

Konqueror and Nautilus will extract these tarball files too?

sayeeth
27th September 2004, 05:37 AM
Konqueror and Nautilus will extract these tarball files too?

Yeah these tarballs or just about any other tarballs. :)

Psquared
27th September 2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah these tarballs or just about any other tarballs. :)

:D :D :D

Seriously though . . . I did open and extract the files in my home directory and the wallpaper loaded up just fine. However, I also downloaded a Metacity Theme which I thought would work in Gnome, but when I extracted the file I ended up with a bunch of files for icons, menus, desktops, etc all in my home directory. Surely I don't have to copy each one into different folders?? Isn't there an easier way to install these?

sailor
27th September 2004, 04:31 PM
the theme files (if I remember correctly) should be installed through preferences>appearance> themes....and I don't think that needs to be extracted

jcstille
27th September 2004, 04:36 PM
the theme files (if I remember correctly) should be installed through preferences>appearance> themes....and I don't think that needs to be extracted

You are absolutely right.

Psquared
28th September 2004, 01:29 PM
I guess I am just dense. I don't get it.

I dragged the tar.gz file into the themes install window and the file is there. I click on OK and something happens, but in the themes list I see nothing. Under theme details I see the same entries. The files are extracted but they are in my home directory.

This is a GTK theme I downloaded from gnome-look.org. Does it have to be in a special place because it is a GTK theme?

This seems like an awkward way to customize FC2. (BTW, I use Gnome)