PDA

View Full Version : unstable hibernation

M4rc0
29th July 2009, 06:14 AM
Frequently when I try to hibernate, in some part of the process the screen just goes black and it doesn't come back again.

The hibernation just freezes there and the only way to shut down is to force shutdown or remove the battery.

I'm running on a laptop, F11 x86_64 using xfce4.6. I'm using compiz too (and that might be the issue)

How can i find out what is causing this?

Gregory_Huey
7th August 2009, 01:39 AM
Hello,
I'm running Fedora Core 11, kernel:
Linux elwing.cosmology.name 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586 #1 SMP Wed Jul 29 15:46:46 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

on an IBM Thinkpad T40p.

Before the recent kernel update, the hibernate was flaky. Well after the update to kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11 that flakiness is gone - now it fails 100% of the time.

Sometimes I type pm-hibernate as root - the screen goes blank, and after a could of beeps the screen goes semi-white, and then green, then blue - as some sort of screen-saver were in operation. But, the power does not go off - no disk access, the system is completely unresponsive. Pressing the power button has no effect. All I can do is is to take out the battery & cut the AC power. Then when powered on the system boots as if the hibernate had never happened. I've lost all trace of what I was doing before I hibernated.

Other times the hibernate goes through ok - the sysem beeps a few times and powers down. No fan - its off. Fine. But, when I press the power button it started to boot, an hangs when it gets to the blue screen with that odd little fedora light-bulb thing (it would normally fill up as a progress meter). The shift lock light flashes on and off, no disk access, the laptop is unresponsive. Once again I must remove the battery and cut AC power in order to shutdown & restart. Now, its unfortunate that, unlike Fedora Core 4 - which I recently upgraded (downgraded?) from - someone decided it was best if the system didn't give the user an explicit summary of what it is doing during boot. Who thought that showing only a blue-screen lightbulb progess meter was a good idea? How am I supposed to debug the boot process if I can not see what the system was doing when it hung during boot ?!?

If hibernate could be made to work that would be awesome. However, as it stands now it fails 100% of the time, and I don't have any idea of where to get explicit error messages to report. Might something be buried in /var/log/messages? What should I look for?

Thanks,
Greg

M4rc0
9th August 2009, 12:26 PM
Gregory_Huey, Does your suspend work?

Funny thing here my suspend works perfectly, never fails. It even leaves the suspend mode just by opening the lid.

Unfortunately with hibernation I have the same issue that you have - often i have to remove the batter to force the restart.

So I'm going to use suspend more often until I fix this hibernation.

I hope someone points us in the right direction here so we can fix this.
Hibernation is a must for a laptop..

Gregory_Huey
10th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Hello,
Indeed suspend does seem to work fine, and merely opening the lid does exit suspend.

I reported the hibernate as a fedora bug, and someone suggested I try to hibernate with quirks turned off:

pm-hibernate --quirk-none

This seems to work - I do it not from an xwindow, but from one of the consoles logged in as root.

You might give it a try.

Later,
Greg

M4rc0
10th August 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Gregory,

I just tried the command above and in my first try the hibernation didn't work, so i needed to remove the battery.

Too bad, I though it would work.

Please keep trying it and let me know if it still works for you.
That could be a clue for me.

Thanks.

M4rc0
15th August 2009, 12:32 AM
So Gregory_Huey, is pm-hibernate still working good for you?

Does anybody have a clue of how could I fix this?