PDA

View Full Version : Worst fedora release?

axet
26th July 2009, 10:38 AM
First release i cant use is F11 (crash, sound gliches, nomodeset problems and mutch more)

I cant install it!!!!

How about you?

glennzo
26th July 2009, 10:51 AM
All is well here. F11 has been running wonderfully for me since install. Sound is pretty sketchy though. It works. It's just somewhat jumpy. Not a big deal to me. I think if you have a look around the forum there you'll find a few other threads dealing with the good and bad of Fedora 11.

axet
26th July 2009, 10:53 AM
two machines with -ati and -intel drivers booth cant run f11. only thrid notebook with prop. nvidia drivers works. sad.

leigh123linux
26th July 2009, 10:59 AM
First release i cant use is F11 (crash, sound gliches, nomodeset problems and mutch more)

I cant install it!!!!

How about you?

Moved to Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

You are lucky it's the only release you have had trouble with :cool: , I couldn't even install FC1, FC2, FC3 & FC4 due to hardware incompatibilities. :( .
FC6 was the crappiest release for me.

axet
26th July 2009, 11:02 AM
fc6 was best, as i remember one poll results on this forum.

Demz
26th July 2009, 11:19 AM
iv'e been able to install all releases with no problem, i think Fedora8 was the best

bob
26th July 2009, 02:17 PM
I also had no problems with F11. However, Axet, with your experience and abilities, I'm sure you've filed bugzillas to get the glitches noticed before F12, right?

axet
26th July 2009, 02:18 PM
i report it all. but it still not fixed since f11 alpha time.

bob
26th July 2009, 02:26 PM
Well, you've done what you can then. Let's hope the correction's pushed into F12 if not included in F11.

FergatROn
26th July 2009, 02:35 PM
I've had the worst time with this version, related to my nVidia drivers. I put in a bug report with RPM Fusion and Fedora and no one can solve it. Other than that, the sounds a bit confusing and irregular. I thought Fedora 10 was the best release, though. Everything seemed to work just fine. :)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=225594

Let's hope things are much smoother in 12. If my nVidia drivers can't work in that version, I'm going to reluctantly switch to Ubuntu. :( I've been a Fedora-fanboy since version 8.

beaker_
26th July 2009, 08:48 PM
F9 was the scariest for me and only because I was determined to fight with kde4's orgional release. Video drivers were scatchy but solvable. Past that, F11 (xorg drivers) screams murder on anything with an old intel video card but F8 and centos plays well there so no biggie. Sad part is I'll love F11 one minute and then swear at it the next. I suppose there's nothing boaring about it.

sonoran
26th July 2009, 11:58 PM
F11 has been the best release here since F8. I had so much trouble with 9 & 10 that I went right to F11 Alpha and that Rawhide gave me very few problems right through to the official release.

I'm wondering, is there a relationship between the "smoothness" of a Rawhide cycle and the eventual success of the official release of that version? I really tried to stick with F12 Rawhide, but the problems I ran into were way beyond my capabilities and available time to fix. I do plan on installing the Beta when it comes out.

JohnnyLinux
27th July 2009, 12:41 AM
Fedora 11 is rocking my world.

Just some problems with 3D graphics, but that's about it. (I can't get 3D games or apps to work!!!)

Everything else is smooooth.

LinuxTom
27th July 2009, 01:16 AM
So far Fedora 11 has worked better for me than any release since FC1; actually it has been less problimatic than most of my old Redhat releases; Although, if I recall corectly Redhat 9 worked like a charm on any machine I had at the time.

D_bot
28th July 2009, 11:45 AM
I don't understand what we are trying to prove with a bi-yearly release schedule.

Has anyone considered slowing the pace down some?

I believe doing that could have a number of good side effects.

When newbs come onto this forum and see all kinds of screaming about this and that gone bad in the current release, I would say it scares the hell out of them. A longer maintenance period for each release would allow more time on this forum for helping newbs (along with anyone else having trouble) to come up to speed.

A longer maintenance period in the current release would also lengthen other parts of the life cycle for the next release because they are concurrent to maintaining the current release. It is entirely possible this could lead to more effective development.

Also, in my view, new releases every 6 months are like 'meh'. But at some point beyond that time I will start salivating for the next 'big' release, especially if I am convinced it includes significant technological advancements. This 'anticipation factor' could actually increase the demand for Fedora as well as adoption/download rate figures (I sense that these are important somehow).

Just adding my $.02 :rolleyes:

bob
28th July 2009, 12:11 PM
D_bot, Fedora's a testing distro and not one that's ideally suited to new users. Sure, with some of the assists that have been set up, a person who's not familiar with linux can get it all working, but I'd never recommend it as their first experience.

I understand your point and of course you CAN suggest it to the devs (fedoraproject jump link above), but the idea is to keep pushing the envelope, even if things break, and then use what's been learned in the stable "work" distros, like Red Hat.

Mostly, we kick, scream and use workarounds until it's all perfect about a week before the version reaches 'end of life'. Masochism's fun. :D

FergatROn
28th July 2009, 12:23 PM
Bob: I actually recommend Fedora to new users. Not for all though, just the ones that are looking for a challenge. :)

D bot: I agree that a longer release schedule would taper down some of the kicking and screaming. Unfortunately; due to the rapid nature of open source (in some cases), folks want the latest GNOME or KDE without having to compile it themselves. Personally; I get all giddy when listening to podcasts that do reviews on the latest GNOME. For that fact alone, I upgraded to Fedora 11. I was so perfectly fine in 10, but darn my impulse installing!

With my $0.02 added, we have pooled a total of $0.04. Go Team! Which project can we donate that to!?

D_bot
28th July 2009, 01:18 PM
I should point out the schism between the last two posts.

I am fine with the testing distro thing, as bob indicates.

So why is there this incessant push to compete with Ubuntu? Is Fedora (the OS) a slave to GNOME and KDE as FergatROn indicates?

Something I forgot to mention before is the increased time to release spins such as an XFCE spin.

bob
28th July 2009, 05:03 PM
We were doing the 6 month release LONG before Ubuntu ever came along. And, other than that, I don't think there's any competition. We want the distro to be as user-friendly as possible, but it all depends on who's a user. Eventually, we'd expect to see Red Hat contain lots of the coding, so might as well consider the commercial user, who may not be very sophisticated. It makes our geeky group grit their teeth a bit, of course, when such things as root logins are dumped.

Fedora's always been Gnome-First and KDE as an after-thought.

And, the extra 'spins' are done by members/developers on their own, in their own time, so it's up to them when they get done. They're not official, although they are based on the official release.

stevea
28th July 2009, 05:19 PM
I have to admit F11 has a lot more rough edges than F10 or F8 (F9 was worthless to me - the first release I've mostly skipped) . I have two clean F11 installs, but the F11 installer DVD crashes while examining my SW-RAID on my main workstation. I'll bypass that issue when I get a little time.

The obvious point is that you shouldn't be using Fedora unless you know how to wield duct-tape and baling wire. It's not always a smooth path. I really hate seeing noobs who don't know what they are getting into here. They install a couple Fedora revs w/o problems and they start thinking it's easy. Then some fine morning a yum update slaps them silly and we get to listen to the whining.

It least we confine the wailing and gnashing of teeth to one thread category - thanks !

D_bot
28th July 2009, 05:31 PM
Like I said: It's just my $.02. Let's remember that times change!

LBCoder
5th August 2009, 08:18 PM
I've never liked the even-numbered fedoras. They always seemed to be too bloated/plasticy and need too much hand-holding to get working efficiently. 8 was the absolute WORST since it didn't even have usable sound.... and when you managed to get the sound working, a week later it would spontaneously break, or it wouldn't boot, or something.

bob
5th August 2009, 08:31 PM
It's funny, but so much depends on your computer's configuration. In contrast, Fedora 8 and 10 were rock-solid, but Fedora 9 was a mess on my machine. Since I have a non-cutting-edge system, most versions have worked just fine, however others really suffer with the same versions.

Not that it solves anything, but Bugzillas may just give the devs some insight as to why things bork in some configurations. Even though they may be a pain to file and may never be 'solved', it's still the best way to get things to go smoother in the future releases.

axet
5th August 2009, 09:00 PM
ah, ok. the worst fedora release is impossible to determine :)

PatMcLJr
5th August 2009, 10:51 PM
stay on the even squares

Pat Jr.

Demz
6th August 2009, 12:33 AM
i would have to say my worst release was fedora Core 4. i couldn't install that at all .. either in text or GUI

Simian Man
6th August 2009, 12:46 AM
Worst for me was 9, but I have only been using it since Fedora 6. I'd say 8 and 10 were the best.

nigerag
6th August 2009, 04:58 AM
fc6 was best, as i remember one poll results on this forum.
Absolutely agree with that statement, it's my favorite too. And probably the most stable Fedora. No wonder the RHEL 5.x is based on that version.

Lutger
11th August 2009, 11:21 AM
For me it's the first fedora that actually booted without problems and thus the one that has me converted.

The only thing I miss is the ATI blob, but that is not for Fedora to fix of course. I also dislike kpackagekit, being spoiled with yast from opensuse and the mandriva tools.

Replicant10000
13th August 2009, 12:51 AM
Fedora 11 works well for me, as long as I don't try to run anything CPU-intensive on this Toshiba laptop.

Timslin
13th August 2009, 05:08 AM
I started with F10 which gave me driver issues with an ATI card, wiped a whole 1TB hard clean. After installing F11 I've not had any issues yet (fingers crossed), sound jumps a little but that's not a big issue.

moosepig
13th August 2009, 11:27 PM
f10 works well on my aspire one 150l.

i tried f11, but there were a few things annoying me, so im back with f10 again and very happy with how it runs.

MexDeath
20th August 2009, 12:08 AM
Well, for me... so far, so good.

All is working in good order:

Sound, Video, my Compilers too, it runs the apps I use very well too... so far, next to and ahead of Linux Mint 7 (Gloria,) F11 (Leonidas,) is the Linux Distro I'm liking the best.

Of course, I'm pretty sure nothing will beat my Gentoo once I get my hands into that one! That is still to be seen though.

Cheers,

MexDeath.

Magickman
20th August 2009, 02:26 PM
I would say the best Fedora releases were 6, 8, and 10. I'm running 10 right now, have been since it came out. I drove myself crazy trying to install and configure 11, I finally got the i386 version to actually install, no sound, took forever to boot up, and Firefox sucks bigtime, multiple lockups, and I hate to new preferences...what are they thinking?
I have downloaded the live 12 KDE, haven't burned to CD yet...would like to see what it looks like, at least. For now, I will stay with Fedora 10, although my updater keeps on trying to get me to upgrade. I know better than that! Sooner or later the Fedora guys will get everything right again and give us a non-buggy, everything works out of the box, no lockups, fast boot up distro that we can all rave about.

wheels5894
20th August 2009, 03:19 PM
I'm new to Linux and started with Ubuntu. However trying to get Flash to work with a browser was beyond me so I tired Fedora. It installed fine from the DVD image and Danger Mouse's page http://www.dnmouse.org/ has a brilliant installed for Flash and other things that made it easy to get started.

There are some problems, lke sound being awkward and Samba but it all seems to work well 'out of the box' so to speak.

MexDeath
21st August 2009, 09:38 PM
[...] Firefox sucks bigtime [...]

I'd have to double you on this one, for some reason, the Firefox version that came "out of the box" with F11 is really... *effin...* up. I'll try and either re-install, or install a newer version of it (if there is, which I doubt, for I think that F11 comes with the latest Firefox) and I'll see what happens.

Sound for me still is working great, and I have decided not to put any crazy eye-candy, meaning, any Compiz Effects, so, if that came "out of the box" too (yea... I haven't checked that... too busy learning C so I can continue then to study the Linux Kernel), you can be sure I'll get rid of it. Other than that, my F11 is working great with my other applications.

Lets hope it gets better with Firefox. If all else fails, I'll either go back to Mint temporarily, or just keep reporting them dang bugs.

Cheers,

MexDeath.

MexDeath
21st August 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm new to Linux and started with Ubuntu. However trying to get Flash to work with a browser was beyond me so I tired Fedora. It installed fine from the DVD image and Danger Mouse's page http://www.dnmouse.org/ has a brilliant installed for Flash and other things that made it easy to get started.

There are some problems, l[i]ke sound being awkward and Samba but it all seems to work well 'out of the box' so to speak.

That flash problem is very common, since most of the newcomers like to have things like they used to have them in other OS's.

Though it is not a requirement, learning to perform some basic tasks, such as installing, upgrading, navigating your files, and stuff like that, through command line, is highly recommended when using Linux, almost any distro.

Why? Well, because in some cases, it WILL save you time. I mean, if you were able to, and had the time to install Ubuntu, and not like it, and then Install Fedora... then I'm pretty sure you'll also be able to learn a few basic things about *learning* to use the CLI (Command Line Interface).

Cheers,

MexDeath.