PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Stack Size... Why?

flaviarnn
23rd September 2004, 02:55 AM
Hi, guys
To get wireless to operate successfully in my laptop (broadcom 802.11b/g), i had to install NDISWRAPPER and use a windows driver.
Unfortunatelly, fedora kernel uses a 4 k stack size, and windows driver demands of 8 or 16 k (i don't know exactly which size) stack size.
Why fedora doesn't use a larger stack size :confused: ? It would save me a lot of time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem.
I had to download a 16 stack size kernel version from linuxant, and it freezes at startup sometimes :( . If you (fedora kernel developers) can't change the fedora kernel stack size, please, tell me why and tell me how to compile a fedora kernel with a different stack size!
Tks
Flavia

Optimistic
23rd September 2004, 03:15 AM
I think that kernel 2.6 uses an 8k stack. Are you on FC1?

superbnerd
23rd September 2004, 04:07 AM
by the way, the developers do not view these forum AFAIK. if you wan to tell or ask them something, you will have to file a bug report at the fedora bugzilla (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla).

Varkk
23rd September 2004, 05:00 AM
I think that kernel 2.6 uses an 8k stack. Are you on FC1?

FC2 does use a 4k stack size, I remember this as the nvidia driver didn't like the 4k stacks initially. 4k stacks apparently gives about a 5% performance boost in some situations with the downside being some drivers (mostly the binary only ones) don't work.