PDA

View Full Version : Hotkeys For The X-Window

buffet1150
20th June 2009, 07:21 PM
Hello, I like the Xhotkeys application. I'd like it better if it would run on my Fedora 10. It's a new installation with all updates. I think I have the required Python files but not absolutely sure. I used Add/Remove Software in Fed 10 to download and install it. I successfully created a few hotkeys and they tested just fine. But the hotkeys don't actually work. AND, I get the text at the bottom of the Xhotkeys Bindings window that tells me Xhotkeys daemon is not running. That's probably why it doesn't work, eh ? Can you suggest how to resolve this ? BTW, I followed all the installation instructions including adding Xhotkeys to the startup menu. www.nongnu.org/xhotkeys

RDL

buffet1150
21st June 2009, 04:52 PM
No one's ever tried this application ? Ok, I've been talking to the creator of this software via email. He's helping me. When I get it running, I'll report back.

RDL

buffet1150
22nd June 2009, 06:49 AM
No resolution at this time. The designer said it should work but he didn't specifically test it on a Fedora distribution. Too many problems for this newbie to figure out.

RDL

M4rc0
23rd June 2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, most probably because the daemon is not running. Just add it in your startup programs like described in the link

I installed to check it out, it detected my media hotkeys nicely..
But unfortunately, i want the "next" media hotkey to change to the next song of my music list in my music program. And that is not a "command" so I can't configure it.

Songbird doesn't have a hotkey option nor Banshee. Amarok works, but I don't like it :P

But why not use your default desktop hot keys for that? Do you use gnome?

tokland
18th July 2009, 09:27 PM
Hi,

M4rc0, I've been a long-time xmms user and with xhotkeys I was been able to control it (running xmms for basic command and pyxmms for everthing else). Now I've switched to audacious (like winamp, BMP fork), which includes its own hotkeys plugin, it works nicely.