PDA

View Full Version : Firefox i386 on F11 x86_64

lukeb
18th June 2009, 04:09 PM
I've just installed F11 (x86_64) on my computer.
I've been using x86_64 since Fedora 7 and normally I use a manually installed i386 firefox/thunderbird.

This time I've tried to do the same using Fireox 3.5b4 but I got many troubles.

The last error I got is:

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but that lib is not available on the standard repository.

I've tried to use the i386 version of thunderbird (2.0.0.9) but I got this error:
./thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but on the repository there is just the libstdc++-4.4.0-4.i586 lib.

Any ideas?

LuKe

NoEffex
18th June 2009, 04:38 PM
I've just installed F11 (x86_64) on my computer.
I've been using x86_64 since Fedora 7 and normally I use a manually installed i386 firefox/thunderbird.

This time I've tried to do the same using Fireox 3.5b4 but I got many troubles.

The last error I got is:

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but that lib is not available on the standard repository.

I've tried to use the i386 version of thunderbird (2.0.0.9) but I got this error:
./thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but on the repository there is just the libstdc++-4.4.0-4.i586 lib.

Any ideas?

LuKe

Just curious, but why do you use the 32-bit thunderbird and firefox?

Anyhow, your best bet it to try to install it (the 4.4.0-4) and ln -s it(ie

ln -s libstdc++.so* libstdc++.so.5

Or something, and hope it works. I used to do that whenever dependencies in whichever repo wouldn't be correct due to last minute packaging on rawhide.

Alternatively, you can add the 32-bit repository in itself via editing /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo

and adding an entry, changing $basearch to i386.

lukeb
19th June 2009, 06:12 AM
Just curious, but why do you use the 32-bit thunderbird and firefox?]

The last version of both are not stable on my F11: Firefox crashes when I use my old profile (from version 3.5b but 32 bit); thunderbird 3.0b2 is unusable with my mailboxes, so I would use the 2.0.x (32 bit).

[Anyhow, your best bet it to try to install it (the 4.4.0-4) and ln -s it(ie

ln -s libstdc++.so* libstdc++.so.5

Or something, and hope it works. I used to do that whenever dependencies in whichever repo wouldn't be correct due to last minute packaging on rawhide.

Alternatively, you can add the 32-bit repository in itself via editing /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo

and adding an entry, changing $basearch to i386.

Thanks for your advises,; I'l try them!

LuKe

ozsynergy
30th June 2009, 05:34 AM
You need the 32bit version of the dbus-glib library, by default only the 64bit version is installed.

yum -y install dbus-glib.i586

Done!

FYI..... I found FF 3.5 32bit RC3 to crash easy with my profile....

lukeb
3rd July 2009, 02:02 PM
You need the 32bit version of the dbus-glib library, by default only the 64bit version is installed.

yum -y install dbus-glib.i586

Done!

FYI..... I found FF 3.5 32bit RC3 to crash easy with my profile....

This package is already installed.

I've found a workaround (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=505365): I've deleted the files libfreebl3.chk e libfreebl3.so from the firefox directory.

Now the problem is: are these files important for firefox (I think yes)? At the moment firefox runs well (apart from few slowdowns, but I think they depend on flash).