PDA

View Full Version : KVM Module loads in F11

theWayner
15th June 2009, 06:18 PM
I want to permently remove the KVM module from F11 when I boot up. I tried it out but went to VB. Now, however whenever I reboot and try to load VB I get a msg stating to remove the KVM module and then retry. Currently I use this cmd: su modprobe -r kvm_intel kvm

and it allows me to use VB. I have removed the virutal machine that came with F11 but How do I remove the KVM portion?

Thanks

Hlingler
15th June 2009, 06:23 PM
Work-around: place the command to remove the kmod into /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
modprobe -r kvm_intel kvm

No need for sudo - rc.local gets run as root, last item in boot sequence.

V

Firewing1
15th June 2009, 06:37 PM
You can also blacklist it from loading permanently by adding a configuration file to /etc/modprobe.d:

su -
echo "blacklist kvm" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-kvm.conf
echo "blacklist kvm_intel" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-kvm.conf

theWayner
15th June 2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks to both of you. It now works properly.

theWayner
16th June 2009, 03:34 PM
I spoke too soon. Today the KVM kernal re installed itself. Still looking for a permenant solution to remove the KVM kernal so that VB will load

scottro
16th June 2009, 10:49 PM
Hrrm, I would try searching for kvm.ko or something like that and renaming it. (Don't delete it, we're not sure we won't break anything.)

nirik
17th June 2009, 04:14 AM
In f11, the kvm support is in the 'qemu-common' package. You could try a 'yum remove qemu-common', which will hopefully just remove the qemu packages.

Otherwise, the script that loads the module is in /etc/sysconfig/modules/kvm.modules
Comment out the loading there and it should not do it anymore.

Firewing1
17th June 2009, 06:01 AM
/etc/sysconfig/modules/kvm.modules causes KVM to load even if it's blacklisted?

scottro
17th June 2009, 06:10 AM
It does on CentOS.

Firewing1
17th June 2009, 06:12 AM
Hm, odd... It must be issuing modprobes then... IIRC blacklist will prevent modules from autoloading, but a modprobe will still make the module load.

scottro
17th June 2009, 06:20 AM
I wasn't into digging deeply enough into the startup scripts to figure where it was happening--I couldn't find it in what I thought were the obvious places at the time. I chose the kludgey method.

nirik
17th June 2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, it does indeed do a modprobe. ;)

It just seems strange to me to install something that loads a module and then blacklist it from doing so. Just removing qemu-common should be a more clean solution. ;)

In any case, use whatever you prefer and works for you...