PDA

View Full Version : WHICH SPORT is your favorite?

imdeemvp
18th September 2004, 11:20 AM
I am an NFL and college fan....as my case shows i am a
USC Trojans fan. (http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=4) I also like local and international soccer, and YOU?

fjleal
18th September 2004, 11:45 AM
Imdeemvp, NHL, NBA, MLS and NLF mean nothing to an european... And baseball... Yes, I know that one - a person throws a ball and another one has to hit it with a stick, right? Very funny... ;)

Here in europe the favorite sport - the one that gathers tenths of thousands of people in a stadium - is clearly football (that I believe you americans call soccer). Then comes racing, tennis, swimming, ...

imdeemvp
18th September 2004, 11:54 AM
i grew up in my country playing football *soccer*, i played defense. when i came here i missed it so much but rarely anyone play soccer until a few years ago maybe 4 now.

in my work enviormnet everyone spoke of american football such as the raiders, eagles, packers, etc.....got curious about it 14 years ago and since them i love it, you should see the college games and the marching bands they are awesome!

but the TRUE KING is calcio, soccer, football, etc. Brasil being my favorite all the time.

btw, i used those abbrevs. to make a diffence between local and international leagues.

Tashiro
18th September 2004, 12:54 PM
Hey imdeemvp,

Why didn't you make a NONE option to choose?

I do play chess, but I don't watch any games or something.

Tashiro

Ug
18th September 2004, 01:53 PM
Where's Cricket dammit?

inha
18th September 2004, 02:50 PM
other: mma, boxing, wrestling, bjj, judo, muay thai etc. all proper combat sports.

I like to watch ice hockey and football (the real football where the ball is actually moved with your feet) too.

Varkk
18th September 2004, 03:28 PM
Where's Cricket dammit?
Well, where is it?

Ug
18th September 2004, 04:59 PM
Well, where is it?
As in the sport.

ewdi
18th September 2004, 05:13 PM
i'm an avid basketball fans and also badminton :p

imdeemvp
18th September 2004, 06:21 PM
i also wanted to include rugby....but i dont think we have any fans here.

Ug
18th September 2004, 07:04 PM
Ooh I love Rugby Union, how on earth did I forget? After all England are the world champions. ;)

imdeemvp
18th September 2004, 07:08 PM
Ooh I love Rugby Union, how on earth did I forget? After all England are the world champions. ;)

how could you.....i watched it many times on cable here on the states. and how come you are not a Manchester United fan? is it united?

rugby similiar to american football....we use helmets and pads here :D

mark
19th September 2004, 01:56 AM
how could you.....i watched it many times on cable here on the states. and how come you are not a Manchester United fan? is it united?

rugby similiar to american football....we use helmets and pads here :D "...it takes leather balls to play rugby..."

Also, how about golf? (Wherein, I might add, the Euros are currently shellacking the U.S. in Ryder Cup competition, 11-5 - which means we've gotta win 10 of the single matches tomorrow - yikes!)

Varkk
19th September 2004, 06:45 AM
As in the sport.
I was quoting you in agreement, this poll is lacking in the sports played in the civilised regions of the world (e.g Cricket and Rugby)

imdeemvp
19th September 2004, 06:56 AM
but that is why i say other and then you lets know by answer the thread.....i am a local guy here...so my thinking was i was going to get more answers from the local users here.

but feel free to let us know what you like.....i would like to kwon as well as other sports fans here.

fjleal
19th September 2004, 11:57 AM
I was quoting you in agreement, this poll is lacking in the sports played in the civilised regions of the world (e.g Cricket and Rugby)
Civilized, rugby?!??.. :eek:

Tashiro
19th September 2004, 01:03 PM

Indeed fjleal, let us play chess! ;)

sayeeth
19th September 2004, 01:18 PM
As per the poll, none. As for myself, Brazilian Samba Soccer! :D

Varkk
19th September 2004, 03:13 PM

Yes, rugby is for the young men of the gentry whereas soccer is for the common riff-raff

(Having said that my favourite sport is the gentlemen's game Cricket)

sailor
19th September 2004, 03:53 PM
a glaring ommission of Soccer (football,futbal...etc) I personally like american football...

rugby is for the young men of the gentry whereas soccer is for the common riff-raff
I thought it was just the fans (hooligans) who were the riff-raff...:)

Optimistic
19th September 2004, 05:05 PM
I don't really like any sports, but I find Sumo strangely fasinating. I like to play golf, but I will not watch it on TV.

imdeemvp
19th September 2004, 09:53 PM
sumo!?

you must like really big guys....... :D

Optimistic
19th September 2004, 10:11 PM
sumo!?

you must like really big guys....... :D

No, not really--it is more the pagentry of the whole thing. When the masters wrestle the ground is thought of as a holy place. It is mostly the cultural/historical aspects of Sumo that I like, it is after-all one of the oldest sports on the planet (maybe the oldest).

fjleal
19th September 2004, 11:08 PM
Indeed fjleal, let us play chess! ;)
Now that's a civilized person's game! "How about a nice little game of chess?" - "Wargames", right? ;)

The problem with chess is that it can't be played among computer people - thay always find a way to use a computer to cheat... :)

But we could set up some online game for the forum regulars. Ideas, anyone?... :P

Yes, rugby is for the young men of the gentry whereas soccer is for the common riff-raff
Well, considering the british fans behaviour, I must agree with you... :rolleyes:

imdeemvp
19th September 2004, 11:12 PM
Well, considering the british fans behaviour, I must agree with you...

no kidding....and dont forget the germans....they're also rowdy.

fjleal
19th September 2004, 11:38 PM
no kidding....and dont forget the germans....they're also rowdy.
Yes... Euro 2004 was two months ago here in Portugal. It was a party for everybody from every participating nation. There were no problems at all, except for the drunken english in Algarve - there was no evening the police didn't have to do extra time and arrest a few ones... It's a shame!

English are usually fine, educated people. Were do those fans come from?!? :mad:

imdeemvp
19th September 2004, 11:53 PM
well every sport has it cons and pros.....rowdiness is one of them!

Tashiro
20th September 2004, 07:34 AM
But we could set up some online game for the forum regulars. Ideas, anyone?... :P

Count me in. :)

imdeemvp
20th September 2004, 07:36 AM
fjieal,

cyber poker, black jack......:D

Tashiro
20th September 2004, 07:40 AM
fjieal,

cyber poker, black jack......:D

No, imdeemvp I don't have enough money already and refuse to put in my pc's.:p

Ug
24th September 2004, 06:57 PM
My mistake.

foolish
25th September 2004, 01:19 AM
It's funny what sport can bring out in you.

I'm not really much of a sports fan, but I do support our local football (or soccer, for those of you who think a game where you carry the ball with your hands is called "football") team. Aalesund, which is known by their bright orange shirts, are in the first division and about to make it back up to the norwegian premier league this year. I'm at almost every match and I'm one of those guys who shout a lot during games.

Aalesund plays it's home games in a "stadium" called "The bog". Half of the crowd just clinge to the side of a hill and the rest is standing on some ancient form of stands. Our supporters are great, we we're awarded the third best supporters in Norway last year. In a city with about 40 000 inhabitants, we have about 6000-7000 spectators at each game, on the bigger games we get 10 000 people, which is really good when you're in the first division.

The greatest experience I've ever had related to any sport is when we (Aalesund) played the neighbour town (Molde) last year, when we we're in the premier league. The bastards from up north have always thought themselves better than us, especially when it comes to football. They have a brand new stadium (donated to them by some rich ****), we have "The bog". They have some rather big names, they're arrogant bastards, all of them. One of their players stated, in a national newspaper, that it would be an easy win for them.

At the day of the game we mobilzed and marched to battle. About 10 000 people, all wearing bright orange got on the ferry and took that little bastard-filled town over completely. We brought our flags, our songs, and our enthusiasm and we were great. We took their town over completely, we occupied the square by the town hall. I've never felt so good as when marching from the square by the city hall to the stadium, singing our songs, waking the whole damned county. We took the town over.

At the stadium we silenced the locals with our songs, we we're more than three times their number and ten times as loud. Our banners looked great, our songs we're never as loud, our color never as bright as that day. Our boys did a great job, we took the lead. We we're clearly the best team. There was excitement, there was hard tackles, there was shouting there was arguments. The bastards got even right at the end, the crowd locals was in extacy, the same people who thought us an easy win was extatic over a draw. We were in dispair. So close, yet so far from really showing these arrogant bastards who's the better team, the better crowd, the better town. But then, in the very last minute of overtime, we got it! The perfect goal at the perfect time. I've never seen a crowd go so wild, I've never felt such joy.

It's funny, as I don't even enjoy the game itself.

Some pictures from the game: http://www.stormen.no/bilder.php?news_id=442&img_id=1413&uno=

fjleal
25th September 2004, 09:22 AM
It's funny, as I don't even enjoy the game itself.
Time to start playing... ;)

bamboo_spider
25th September 2004, 09:39 AM
but that is why i say other and then you lets know by answer the thread.....i am a local guy here...so my thinking was i was going to get more answers from the local users here.

but feel free to let us know what you like.....i would like to kwon as well as other sports fans here.

But Fedora forum ain't local you know

I like football (as in soccer) and the favorites are of course the brazilians

and cricket where its India right down to the wire then the west indies and then Pakistan

well Ug today its the windies versus England hope its some match

Theres field hockey that I love to watch and play

The Theres - Trekking in High altitudes : Does it count as a sport ? Its also one of my favorites

Finally its unfair to ask for one favorite sport , there are too many and its very difficult to say which is actually the favoritest

imdeemvp
25th September 2004, 10:26 AM
I like football (as in soccer) and the favorites are of course the brazilians
i always rule for them.....:D but if its match of USA vs Brazil.....then USA!

duncan
26th September 2004, 09:38 PM
Here in central Florida - its hurricane riding!

imdeemvp
26th September 2004, 10:19 PM
Here in central Florida - its hurricane riding!

and here in California is #1 seated USC trojans....check this out baby :D (http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=9)

tajidinabd
28th February 2005, 01:08 AM
well im a big basketball fan #1 then auto racing Formula 1. Anyhow much credit due to a real basketball team Detroit Pistons world champs. They will defend their championship in June

dickinsd
28th February 2005, 02:03 AM
Where's the F1?

The only sport I that will make an effort to catch every single event, on TV of course, I can't afford the jet set life style to follow these guys around the world, in fact I have never even been to a live race when its in the UK. but F1 is definately my sport of choice.

Occasionally a bit of Footie, maybe a little tennis around Wimbledon time, but thats about it for me!

Dave

tajidinabd
28th February 2005, 02:16 AM
thats ok i like F1 i remember when i young kid in detroit F1 use to race there so i always liked F1 cause of that. Aryton Senna :) and of cos basketball cause im tall also GO Pistons

Woad_Warrior
28th February 2005, 05:28 AM
I myself enjoy full contact heavy weapons combat. here's a link to a short video
http://www.shieldcam.com/video/capture0031a.mpg
it's a little over 3 mb so even you poor dial-up users can take a look. ;)
there's nothing to cure stress like smacking someone upside the head with a stick. :)

radu5er
28th February 2005, 07:05 AM
Where's Cricket dammit?

Quite right old chap!

OK, OK...I'll admit it...I'm the one who voted for baseball. Yeah I know, but I was raised on the boring old game and I still enjoy it although the games are kinda few and far between here in Australia. Some good local teams playing here though.

I have been enjoying a few 1 day cricket matches here although I'm still quite a novice spectator...and of course Aussie rules football is very popular in Victoria. Nothing like a pie with dead horse at the footy!

ghaefb
28th February 2005, 04:43 PM
Skateboarding...

OberonKenObi
1st March 2005, 03:31 AM
Hi all

Watching
Cricket here (new 20/20 suxxors though), followed closely by MotoGP (1000cc 4 stroke Motorcycles for those that dont know).

Doing
Rollerblades, falling off rollerblades and the ancient sport of Eky thump (sp?) lol

Regards
Allan

radu5er
1st March 2005, 07:27 AM
snip.... and the ancient sport of Eky thump (sp?) lol

My Australian wife assures me it's spelled "ickey thump" ;)

I guess as an American living here now I'd spell it either way...as long as I get to play it every once in a while. :D

Cheers mate,
Rick

imdeemvp
1st March 2005, 09:50 AM
Last saturday (2.26.05) I had my first lessons in snowboarding in and being a biker in my earlier days I LOVED IT! This comming saturday I am going to the snow again to practice some more the best part of is that its about 90 minutes away from home compare to Lake Tahoe or Mammoth (big resorts here in the states). This is the place: www.mthigh.com SWEEETT :D

roolegion
2nd March 2005, 01:03 PM
Cricket is indeed, the sport of gentlemen - all other sports inhale severely. And, 20/20 version of cricket also sucks. Ecky-thump is the correct spelling - you just pronounced it correctly, with the proper English dialect. It's all "goodie", though it is sometimes a tad "oddie". :)

Ecky-thump - I am glad that someone else here knows of good culture.

fc_jeff
10th March 2005, 09:57 PM
For me, it's soccer, particularily MLS, the EPL, the Bundesliga, and the World Cup (of course).

I also like the NBA, especially the Sacramento Kings

I like auto racing as well. Nascar is good, but I like open wheel racing the best.

For sports I participate in, it's primarily golf. :)

oUch
13th March 2005, 06:46 PM
Hockey (NHL) :) too bad they aren't playing though :(

x-nc
5th April 2005, 12:53 PM
My favorite sports are Ozumo and Formula 1. They both have such a style and grace and both are extremely fasinating with respect to stratigy and personal effort.

mip
5th April 2005, 12:57 PM
Can't decide between Cricket & Rugby (which is nothing like American Football).

pdk001
5th April 2005, 01:22 PM
what different thing is between football and soccer?
anyways i voted for world cup soccer(?) foolball(?)

Truthfatal
5th April 2005, 04:24 PM
I picked Hockey, I would have picked Lacrosse if it was on the list though.

:)

micha
5th April 2005, 04:35 PM
what different thing is between football and soccer?
anyways i voted for world cup soccer(?) foolball(?)Soccer is just the american name for "real" football :)

pdk001
6th April 2005, 12:50 AM
soccer is american style game?

astronoman
6th April 2005, 03:20 AM
Fencing :-).

Finalzone
6th April 2005, 04:14 AM
Football (soccer) - because of my Congolese blood, I have a tendancy to support any African team (Cameroon, Nigeria, South Africa), I follow some European league especially Fance and Spain.
Baskettball - Allen Iverson is my favorite player because he is not like a giant
Hockey - NHL season 2004 is dead. I support local team and watch international tournament.
Volleyball

ianmac
6th April 2005, 04:20 AM
I'd have to say scuba diving :D