PDA

View Full Version : Online Information Organizer

Vector
4th June 2009, 01:17 PM
http://eInformationOrganizer.com

This site is an Online Information Organizer, Contacts Manager, Appointment Scheduler, Task Manager, ToDo List, Sticky Notes, Note Taker, Contacts Organizer, Datebook, Day Planner, Event Reminder, Event Notifier, and it's mobile accessible :D

P.S: I am the developer, so please let me know of any bugs, glitches, etc (shouldn't be any, but i'm only human, and it's still not finished). Also, if you have an idea for a feature that you believe many people could get use from, then be sure to let me know about that also, and i may consider building it. Make sure to use to "Contact Webmaster" link under the "Extras" menu (looks like a "favorites" star).

Thanx

rpstitz
4th June 2009, 02:04 PM
Beautiful job designing that site...very clean and uncluttered, easy to navigate. Kudos to you. I might need to hire you to redo my site :D

P.S. I signed up and plan to use the site. Thanks for keeping it free and easy.

Vector
4th June 2009, 02:12 PM
I am definitely for hire; but i am more of a "developer" than a "designer". I have to do the design of all of the sites i develop, because i am the only developer; but i think that my design skills suck :D

The website will always -- and i mean always -- be completely free to use, without any restrictions or "premium" crap or limitations.

This website, to me, is like Fedora is to Red Hat: I develop and maintain it for free, and the free users benefit me because the massive amount (i wish!) of users help me to thoroughly test everything, and sometimes to think of new features or feature enhancements. Eventually, all of those features are integrated into my Paid Membership version for small businesses (but i have not yet even began to build eInformationManager, which is the business version)

rpstitz
4th June 2009, 02:45 PM
If I was absolutely confident that all information was completely secure and private, I think I would eventually be interested in the eInformationManager if it stored all my customers and sales information...keeping data off-site is smart business sense. In the event of a fire or severe crash, I would still have all the information I need to keep my business going (not to mention keeping the tax collectors happy)...

brunson
4th June 2009, 03:09 PM
From a UI perspective I found two things to be immediately irritating.

1) I don't want to have to click twice to see my contacts, when I click on the tab for contacts I should see them, not have to click again. I don't know if that changes when you actually have any contacts, because when I tried to add one with just a first name and an email address it didn't save.
2) After changing stuff in my profile I don't need a page and an extra click to see "Success!", just update the information take me back to the menu.

Number two reminds me I have to send a patch to gpodder's developer to keep a similar useles notification from popping up after you sync to a device...

Vector
4th June 2009, 10:40 PM
@rpstitz
If you're wondering about security or privacy, view the help video that i am about to upload (should be ready in an hour) under the "Extras -> Help" menu.

@brunson
You could not add that contact because you did not specify a category. Every thing is placed in categories for better organization, and so you must specify at least something for the category.

You know, i was also getting a little annoyed by the "Success!" screen, but i thought that it was necessary for users because they would want to see confirmation. So, now that i have an opinion to the contrary, i will consider doing away with it, so long as a few more users concur.

Also, i have been considering the same thing for each feature tab. I'm just not sure about the best way to go about changing it yet. I'm thinking that i may do something a little bit different with the navigation; but i have a feeling that i'm going to end up completely changing it...

Thanx your your input, i really do consider everything.

rpstitz
4th June 2009, 11:11 PM
I concur! I didn't say anything, but I did get a tad bit annoyed at the confirmation messages...you should consider either getting rid of confirmation altogether, or just maybe put a timer on the confirmation and have it disappear automatically after two seconds or so.

Vector
4th June 2009, 11:49 PM
Here is the video with information about the website, and its privacy.
http://einformationorganizer.com/?a=SELF_Help

I will have to get around to typing out the text later tonight...

I say "We" a lot in the video, (to make it sound like i'm not the owner) but it's only me.

Vector
7th June 2009, 11:46 AM
Ok guys, if you are logged in then when you click on a feature's tab, it now takes you directly to the entries page. This eliminates about 1 click from what it previously took to accomplish the same thing.

I changed it so that you are automatically taken to the entries page for a feature when you add a new entry, as opposed to seeing a "Success!" message. This eliminates about 1 click from what it previously took to accomplish the same thing.

I changed the feature navigation options (create new, view list, view explanation, etc) so that it is more uniform and organized. Also, now if you are using one of the Event Notification / Event Reminder system's sub features, like the Appointment scheduler, so that when you are within a sub feature, you can create another entry for that sub-feature or view your existing entries in that sub-feature with new options in the menu bar, instead of only having the option to go to all events before you can create a new entry, or view the list of existing entries for a particular sub-feature. I will update the video for this shortly. This eliminates about 2 clicks from what it previously took to accomplish the same thing.

Also, the mobile login page was not working for some phones, and i figured out why (typo!), and it is fixed, but i did not get a chance to thoroughly test the mobile version yet, because i'm still refining important details (mentioned above) for the full browser version. I should have any and all bugs (if there are any more) for the mobile version taken care of by tonight.

Also, i'm not sure if any of you actually created events that you were supposed to be notified about over the last few days; but if so, i forgot to mention that --though the front end was done-- the backend was not finished. Well, it is finished now. So now you will receive your reminders/notifications on time for all of your Appointments, Yearly Events, Monthly Events, Weekly Events, Daily Events, and Dayspan Events. :D. I've tested all of these myself, and they work, but please do let me know if you have any problems.

I'm also considering using a lighter colored background, to make it look more pleasant. But anyway, you will definitely find that you can now move around the site and get things done with FAR LESS clicks that it took before, so the site is much faster for you :D

Enjoy! (and please continue to let me know what you think. As you can see, it DOES matter :D )

Vector
8th June 2009, 10:50 AM
Ok rpstitz, the website now has a TOS, and WPP (terms of service and website privacy policy). Also, the entire website was redesigned to look MUCH MORE clean and nice :D

If you have been there within the last few days, then you may need to refresh the page so that the browser loads the new css file and images. But yeah, a MAJOR improvement over the dark/dusty/old looking older version.

phinger
10th June 2009, 09:37 PM
A very good idea, very well executed.
Well done. I may even use it myself !

P

rpstitz
21st June 2009, 10:31 PM
You need to research the "cloud computing" concept and figure out where you fit in, then advertise the fact on your website. Your site is a prime example, because it could easily replace many common information organizer applications that are installed on thousands of end-user computers today.

Vector
22nd June 2009, 12:13 AM
That is actually a great idea. I really like it; and i think that i will do that tonight.

Thanx for the tip, Stitz ;)

@phinger
Thanx for the compliment. You might as well try it; it's free ;)

Vector
1st July 2009, 02:04 AM
Ok, the website has been almost completely redesigned and looks SOOO much better :D. Also, i have tweaked / enhanced a few features, namely the Task Manager, and i am in the process of creating a Project Manager that allows you to track project notes, tasks, and Timesheets to calculate Billing :D

Thanx and enjoy