PDA

View Full Version : Remote Desktop

x2p
17th September 2004, 08:01 PM
Hi all
I would like to remote desktop a fedora 2 pc from xp machine over a network.(by the way im a total noob lol) ;)
help and support will be appericated very much.
x2p

MrWh1t3
17th September 2004, 08:03 PM
check out vnc...thats what i use to remote from fedora to my win 2k server...or use remote desktop from xp to linux set up vnc server or something maybe not sure i dont remote into my linux box i remote out...but i would assume the same would apply..

kf6kmx
17th September 2004, 09:08 PM
Hi all
I would like to remote desktop a fedora 2 pc from xp machine over a network.(by the way im a total noob lol) ;)
help and support will be appericated very much.
x2p

You want to remote access TO the linux box FROM the Windows box, right? Using the desktop.

If you just want text mode access to the Linux box, grab putty, best SSH I've found, free, compact, no installation (I carry it on a floppy and can access my servers from any machine that has a 1.44 and internet access.

For the GUI:
Best ways to do that would probably be VNC (quickest way anyway).
Otherwise youd need to be able to view X programs on the PC, which can get pretty costly for the software..
I've been told that Cygwin will handle that, but I've never tried that.

jimbo
17th September 2004, 09:12 PM
To share the FC2 desktop you can use vnc as well as the vncserver built in to the KDE desktop. You can find it in the KDE Control Center under "Internet & Network"->Desktop Sharing

Then from the XP box you can use a vnc viewer (I use tight-vnc http://www.tightvnc.com).
Works great!

olivierv
17th September 2004, 09:14 PM
I use Cygwin when I have to be in Windows and need and X server. I've tried commercial X servers but have had probblems with the way fonts rendered on those.

Cygwin, I think, is a good solution. The install is pretty easy and I've had no problems using it. VNC is really nice as well and I agree with all the other posts, it's definitely the easiest to set up.

pricejm
17th September 2004, 11:14 PM
check out rdesktop.org

We use this program at work...simple and stable.