View Full Version : where can i find the redhat patches for FC2 ?

16th September 2004, 04:00 PM

I'm currently experimenting with UML on FC2.
I need a special patch on my kernel, and this patch should really be applied to a vanilla kernel.
This works great, but the resulting kernel does not have the redhat patches.

I'm trying to find these on the net, but i can't find them.

Could someone point me to a download localtion ? i would really like to have the official patches, and not have to diff them myself.

16th September 2004, 04:51 PM
I'm confused by your terminology. If you want to patch the kernel so wouldn't these be the patches be at kernel.org? Are you looking for patches from Redhat that apply to something besides the kernel?

16th September 2004, 05:09 PM
Sorry about the confusion,

i'm looking for the patches that i can apply to a vanilla kernel ( = a kernel from kernel.org) so that i will get a redhat fedora kernel.

reason for this is that i need a certain patch (the UML skas3-V4 patch), that does not seem to apply to the kernel i got from my FC2 cd, and also not to the 2.6.8-1.521 red hat kernel i got via updates.
However, it does apply just fine to the kernel i got from kernel.org.

After applying this skas patch, i would like to re-apply the redhat chages to that kernel, so i get a redhat kernel again, but i cannot find the correct patches anywhere.

What i could do is take a diff between the from kernel.org and the 2.6.8-1.521, but since this will have to be done on a lot of machines, i would feel much safer by using an official redhat patch.

17th September 2004, 08:41 PM
I understand what you want to do, but I don't understand why it should work. Suppose you patch 2.6.8 to, lets call it, 2.6.8-withUML. Then apply a patch designed to go from 2.6.8 to 2.6.8-1.521 to 2.6.8-withUML. If the first patch changes a line like "x = y;" to " x = y + 3;" and second patch wants to change the same line "x = y;" to "x = y + r;" , won't the second patch fail because the line "x = y" will be gone?

Suppose you've checked all the details and you know that, just by coinciidence as it were, the second patch will work. Where does the number of machines enter in to it? If we are talking about source code, why would a patch from 2.6.8 to 2.6.8-1.521 differ from machine to machine? Wouldn't the configuration file for compiling the kernel be the source of the differences in the binaries, rather than the source code of the kernel?

19th September 2004, 06:02 PM
actually, I'm asuming that these 'redhat' patches are actually packs of well known patches that redhat tested and included into its core. i doubt that redhat writes its own patches.

i don't expect the patches to apply to a 2.6.8-withUML kernel, but i was hoping that i could figure out what patches that redhat applies to its kernels so i could weed out the ones that are incompatible with uml, and apply the rest.

19th September 2004, 06:05 PM
why don't you just apply the UML patches to a redhat kernel?
yum install kernel-sourcecode
and then just recompile it. Or am I wrong?

20th September 2004, 10:04 AM
as i said earlier :

the UML patches do not apply to a redhat kernel, but they do apply to a kernel.org kernel, so i'm guessing that redhat already applied some patches of their own, some of which are incompatible with the UML patch.
This seems likely since a lot of 2.6 patches touch the same stuff (like uml patches, openssi, openmosix, selinux, ... )

Can anyone provide me with a listing of patches applied by redhat, or point me to a url that has more info on what redhat puts in ?

At the moment, i'm running a kernel from kernel.org with the UML patch, and it works great, but i would prefer to also apply the usual rh patches, since i have no idea what these patches actually do, and i would like my machines to be as close as possible to normal FC2 machines.

20th September 2004, 04:29 PM
Now that we've given you one of the time-honored message board answers to "how do I do this" - namely "You don't want to do that", it would be nice to keep this thread alive. I can understand the utility of what you want. If you had a number of small patches then it would be easier to tackle the job of seeing whether something fails and where the problem is. Looking on the web, I can't find any description of how the Fedora project handles their modifications of the kernel.

In this message,
the writer says:
" It is flat impossible, as far as I know, to tell what patches have been applied to the Redhat kernel when you install. "

20th September 2004, 04:42 PM
thx tashirosgt ,

i already thought so.
i did find some patches, but i'm not even sure if they're fedora patches.

seems even that my UML patch is one of the them :))

20th September 2004, 04:46 PM
You might email this person (unless you are him):

20th September 2004, 05:03 PM
thanks for the link, very helpfull.
i'll trie contacting this guy.

If i should get my hands on a patch list, i'll make sure to post it here.

29th September 2004, 02:33 PM
Actually exactly what you want should be provided by the kernel SRPM (attention, not the kernel-source rpm, but under the SRPM folder the kernel-2.6.8.xxx.src.rpm). It should contain the vanilla kernel source including all the fedora patches etc.
I am actually trying to do exactly the same as you want. I found an slightly older already patched skas3 fedora2 kernel on this page http://www.symetrix.com/~bj/uml/ . I hope I can take the patch out from the src rpm there and apply it to the most recent kernel src.

8th October 2004, 12:56 PM
Hello everybody,

I managed to create new skas (and sysemu) patched Fedora2 kernel rpms with the most recent version, but I get strange "memory exhausted" problems when I try to boot a UML machine (kernel 2.4.26 based).
Does anybody have an idea why? The 2.6.7 version also has problems, but at least the UML boots normally. On a regular kernel without skas patch the problem doesn't show.