PDA

View Full Version : How do you setup your system in general?

badfinger
15th September 2004, 11:59 PM
Well, it might be a silly question, but after I have read about all the problems working as root and so on, I was thinking about, how in genreal you setup a clean and secure system. what steps do you take. I want to setup a clean and secure system, where I work with the root account only for administering the system.

For instance, how can I get access to a ntfs harddisc with an user account? I changed the fstab, accordingly, with the user option. So it's mounted, yeah, but still have no permissions to get on the harddisc. When I try to change it as root, so that users can access, I get an error.

Anyway, as I'm new to linux (after several approaches), I would liek to know, how did you set up your system, and what general steps do you advice.

Thank you in advance!

Best wishes,
Badfinger

Tashiro
16th September 2004, 12:03 AM
Hey Badfinger,

Well for security I can recommend firestarter as a firewall, here is the link:

http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/download.php

Tashiro

Tashiro
16th September 2004, 12:13 AM
Almost forgot, I use VLC for DVD playback:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

About that other stuff you mentioned, sorry but I am unfamilair with that.
So I hope somebody else can give you an answer.

Tashiro

imdeemvp
16th September 2004, 02:03 AM
we have a lots of HOW-to's in this forum.....i also have a FC2 Installation Help Notes LINK so check it out for more info....FC FAQ is also listed there :D

badfinger
16th September 2004, 10:13 AM
Well thats allright, but I guess that's not really what I mean. You see, my systems runs ok, but I wanted to know, how you make a clean, running system and one that is secure. what rules should I obey? Anyway, I will check out the links and Howtos. Thank you all.

imdeemvp
16th September 2004, 10:31 AM
also visit the www.fedoranews.org you will find how developers and moderators do their tricks.

ghaefb
16th September 2004, 10:42 AM
You know that you can use 'su -' command to do some quick root tasks do you?
So you don't need to login as root.

badfinger
16th September 2004, 11:31 AM
Yeah I know about su :) But still, I ask for instance, why do I have always to start my internet via the network agent. I use ISDN dailup, and only with killing the job later (ippp0) I am able to disconnect. So far I love my Fedora Core 1, and I know it needs time to get it fully discovered ;)

skoona
25th September 2004, 05:10 AM
Badfinger,

A. You know about 'su ' and 'su -'; do you also know about '/etc/sudoers', which enables you to 'sudo anycommand' using your user-password and not roots?
B. My system is FC2, with highspeed CableModem and linksys nat-firewall/router (ie. not dialup) - so how I do things would be different.
C. I use SAMBA, or a CIFS fstab entry for all access to other file systems
D. NEVER DUAL-BOOT (dual-boot will get corrupted sooner or later...)
E. For remote accessI use VNC server via xinetd, with SSH over internet, and without SSH on local network; when needed.
F. Disabled and un-installed all un-needed system services (rsync, ftpd, telnetd, who, ...)
G. Stopped any and all auto-updaters like, yumd

Hope this helps..