Hi

This is a question to all the cool linux experts

What does this new Linux Standard Base 2.0 that is making news mean

How will it affect say us as users of specific Linux distro's

Thanks

imdeemvp
15th September 2004, 11:11 AM
and i quote:

"This is huge news for Linux users. They can now be sure that applications will work on any Linux distro -- from Red Flag in China, to Conectiva in Brazil, Red Hat in US and SuSE in Europe," Zemlin told ZDNet UK."

nice very nice....now 2 articles here:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39166519,00.htm

http://www.computershopper.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=63131

superbnerd
15th September 2004, 11:18 AM
@imdeemvp, so your an :cool: expert now? :rolleyes:
I think there is a lot of hype behinds this. the users won't see any benefits for a while (at least a year) because it requires all the developers to actually implement it. I will believe them when I can use rpms built for mandrake and suse without problems. I think the benefits are mostly for programers :(

imdeemvp
15th September 2004, 11:21 AM
agree....lets hope it is before the next release of windows xp 64 (watch they are going to name it like that)

expert..............nah! just another fc2 happy user and you? :D

sailor
15th September 2004, 06:42 PM
if all linux distros follow the "Standard" it could mean more compatability of software across all distros
I guess it will give retail software the incentive to start producing linux software?

ewdi
15th September 2004, 06:56 PM
well i really would like to see all distro get into lsb, i know major vendor already does

imdeemvp
15th September 2004, 07:29 PM
i also hope there will be hardware compability from same vendors which i know already exist but it would be nice to narrow it down

Shadow Skill
16th September 2004, 01:35 AM
As far as I am concerned its all lies until Distro transparency actually appears (I agree with Superb) and more importantly I am able to mix source and rpm with no problems...