PDA

View Full Version : ha! Do that with windoze! :-)

kf6kmx
15th September 2004, 07:11 AM
In the process of installing the update to the 1.0pr of Firefox, my desktop station DELETED its entire /usr/bin folder.. effectively crippling the computer/os.. :confused:

Reboot to a text session, setup a link to my server, create a .tar on my server of the /usr/bin, copy the tar, restore files... worskstation back up in under 30 minutes total, nothing different (I use NIS and a mapped /home to the server, so even in a reload nothing user wise gets lost)..

Do THAT with ANY windoze product!

I love Linux :cool:

ghaefb
15th September 2004, 07:19 AM
How did you manage to delete your entire /usr/bin folder?
I know It's great what system recover you can do with linux.. :)

Ug
15th September 2004, 07:25 AM
Using "root". *tut* *tut*

badfinger
15th September 2004, 08:54 AM
Well it's not depending on your OS, it's depending on the precautrions you do. I mean if you have a backup, you can do that with windows too, but maybe not that uncomplicated.

kf6kmx
15th September 2004, 12:37 PM
How did you manage to delete your entire /usr/bin folder?
I know It's great what system recover you can do with linux.. :)

Still not sure what happened to the /usr/bin.. Either it was a typo on my part while cleaning up to do the upgrtade, or ??

After I restored the /usr/bin, I finished the update, and its fine.. nothing deleted, and the current FireFox is running (in it now) so it installs good on my system..

I used to work for an engineering firm and had to support NT4 servers.. if something corrupted the OS at all, let alone loosing most of the exe set, it would mean a reinstall..

kf6kmx
15th September 2004, 12:38 PM
Using "root". *tut* *tut*

Yeah, I know :rolleyes: But on my system, it in order to get it configured for all users I have to run the installer as root.. (does it install without being root on other systems? Maybe I have a securoty setting a little tight on something)..

kf6kmx
15th September 2004, 12:44 PM
Well it's not depending on your OS, it's depending on the precautrions you do. I mean if you have a backup, you can do that with windows too, but maybe not that uncomplicated.

Yeah, I've supported windoze systems for years (since 3.1).. very little on one of those is under 30 minutes (most windoze problems require a reinstall)..

I've been running this desktop machine without any reinstall since FC1... Did an FC2 update over the top, worked flawlessly, and still going (energizer bunny computer?).. Have had a few system problems, from minor to major show stoppers (I do programming, and testing/expirimenting on this machine.. including software/setup that will be for one of my 3 servers, gets tested/beat up on here first), but all have been repairable without reinstall..

which reminds me, I've still got one server (at a remote site about 35 miles away) that is still in FC1.. guess I need to make a trek down there and spend some quality time with some cd's :D

Jman
16th September 2004, 10:10 PM
Did you have to use the rescue disk? If it was your /bin directory you probably would have to...

The equivalent to this on Windows is zapping most of the *.exe files in the Program Files directory. Few of your user applications would work. If it was Windows\System32 things might be a little more difficult.

Neither one of these recoveries is impossible with backups.

Shadow Skill
12th October 2004, 05:51 AM
Just re image if you are using windows, as long as you keep current, you could probably re image a windows machine in a half hour.

Saskman
12th October 2004, 05:58 AM
Thank the computer gods I use a laptop and I'm the only user. I just installed the firefox directory in my home and ran it from there. Upgrading consists of rm -r firefox && tar ...

Dog-One
13th October 2004, 03:27 AM
Linux is cool alright. I drove a Windows guy nuts a while back. He was to takeover maintaining a Linux server; had a stack of books on his desk piled all the way to the sky and rocking back-n-forth--always complained that Unix/Linux was too hard, no point-n-click ease like Windows. So the stage was set for a little friendly office rivalry. One day, things were kind of slow, he went to the server room; said he had to take some backups. Before he got there, I logged in, su root, did a modprobe -r atkbd. He came back out just beside himself--told me the stupid Linux server had locked up tight. I quickly did a modprobe atkbd and followed him into the server room; walked over to the console and logged in like nothing was wrong. He turned around and left; I mean left the building, gone, for the rest of the day. Next morning he had started a new stack of books on his desk. :D

Oh, how I love Linux...

crackers
13th October 2004, 03:49 AM
Heh - I've swapped out the su binary for a bogus shell script. Drove the supposed "admin" right up the wall.

Got root? :D

Shadow Skill
15th October 2004, 05:28 PM
Exactly what did you do to the poor guy Dog-One? Did you disable the keyboard?[You two are very, very evil :D ]

crackers
16th October 2004, 03:35 AM
atkbd - AT keyboard driver

He disabled the keyboard, basically.

You two are very, very evil

Those pale in comparison to some of the stuff that comes out of BOFH!