PDA

View Full Version : What should user be set to?

M3ga
10th May 2009, 01:07 AM
Hi, im a linux noob.. Well, Im trying to extract something to filesystem, and it says I dont have the permissons, I try to chage it but it says im not the owner, I have my user set to My user name, Adm, and root, primary group being my username. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Deonis
10th May 2009, 01:20 AM
can you specify where do you extracting something ?

M3ga
10th May 2009, 01:25 AM
Im trying to extract it to root, what im trying to ask is what are the groups my user should be set to so I can extract it to root, thanks for the reply.

Loki1950
10th May 2009, 01:36 AM
To write anything to the system areas you actually have to be logged in as root your normal user account should never be able to do that ever so you have to open a terminal and use su,su - or sudo to become root for that operation to work.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Deonis
10th May 2009, 01:44 AM
you can add yourself to the sudo users check this link
http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/125/26/1/1/#sudo_sudoers

M3ga
10th May 2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the help. But I dont get what you mean, I logged in as root on terminal and what does that do with extracting it to root?

Loki1950
10th May 2009, 01:51 AM
where in root do you want to place the extracted archive if it is an archive what type? as the cmd to do the extraction will differ depending on it's type.

Seve
10th May 2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the help. But I dont get what you mean, I logged in as root on terminal and what does that do with extracting it to root?

Hello:
See the man page for tar

e.g.

su -

tar -C /root -xzf vfoo.tar.gz

Seve

stevea
10th May 2009, 02:07 AM
What does "extract something to a file system" mean ? To me it's almost meaningless babble.
You are using some tool (which?) to create files and it fails. Without full details you can only get a vague answer. What is the tool and the EXACT message.

Generally Linux permissions to create files is based on .. the file system mount semantics, the POSIX (rwxrwxrwx) permissions, the privileges that "used to" be based on root(euid=0) id, the capabilities (man 7 capabilities) priv system and SELinux.

Try
su - root
id
whatever-the-extract-command-is

and post the complete result.

Maybe you are using a gui tool - in that case explain your method.

M3ga
11th May 2009, 01:45 AM
Can someone help me to extract something to root? Im a linux noob, Thanks.

Seve
11th May 2009, 01:50 AM
( Threads Merged )

Loki1950
11th May 2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks Seve he still hasn't explained what he is trying to do:confused: