PDA

View Full Version : Which old version of Fedora is RHEL 5.3 equivalent?

mikerock
7th May 2009, 08:08 PM
I started using Fedora I believe it was FC8 back in 2007 due to RHEL 5.2 did not support the newer motherboard chipsets like the G33, G35 and P35. I am up to FC10 which I should be good until the fall but getting a bit tired of the early release cycles. (I suppose I could maintain fc10 into 2010 on my own as an option)

The question is does anyone know if RHEL 5.3 kernel has all the hardware support of fc8? Is it up to at least fc9 at this point?

stefan1975
7th May 2009, 08:11 PM
RHEL5.3 is still in the RHEL5 (kernel 2.6.18 and not 2.6.27) family so even though there are updates it is still essentially based upon FC6 and not F8+. So i wouldnt hold my breath in anything that didnt work in RHEL5.2 to work in RHEL5.3.

From what i hear RHEL6 is going to be out sometime next year and based upon fedora11 (and maybe 12) so might want to hold out for that one....

mikerock
7th May 2009, 08:33 PM
RHEL5.3 is still in the RHEL5 (kernel 2.6.18 and not 2.6.27) family so even though there are updates it is still essentially based upon FC6 and not F8+. So i wouldnt hold my breath in anything that didnt work in RHEL5.2 to work in RHEL5.3.

From what i hear RHEL6 is going to be out sometime next year and based upon fedora11 (and maybe 12) so might want to hold out for that one....

I suppose to maintain current stability I could just yum update any security updates from here
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/security and be good until January 2010.
Then pray that RHEL6 comes out in January. These updates have been pretty smooth and servers stable so I may just risk fc11 anyway. Tough call.

btw - All I could find was this from wikipedia "Relationship to free or community distributions" but with a gap between FC7 and FC9. No mention of 5.1, 5.2 or 5.3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

Red Hat Linux 6.2 → Red Hat Linux 6.2E
Red Hat Linux 7.2 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
Red Hat Linux 9 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Fedora Core 3 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Fedora Core 6 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
Fedora 10 / Fedora 11 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (planned for release in the first quarter of 2010[5])

stefan1975
7th May 2009, 08:48 PM
fedora is a community developed distro with releases twice a year focused on breaking down, eating your children and wowing your ubuntu friends.

RHEL is an enterprise distro coming out once every 5 years or so, between these life cycles there are in-family-upgrades that fixes stuff and introduces minor upgrades and features (virtualisation, firefox, etc) but these point releases (5.x,y,z) are still based on the same RHEL/fedora, because they always have to be compatible and stable during the entire lifetime. RHEL doesnt do in lifecycle kernel upgrades like fedora either.

Not all fedora releases are the basis for a redhat release. the community throws out a kazillion things every 6 months and some of those innovations *might* make it into the next RHEL. so RHEL6 will be based on F11 from what i hear with some F12 thrown in if i am informed right (and of course F10, F9, F8 are all still incorporated in F11 so things done there that actually worked have not been lost) but it isn't a 1-on-1 port either, i could hardly see plymouth making it into RHEL6 by default for example.

so actually there isn't a "gap" at all...

stefan

mikerock
7th May 2009, 08:58 PM
fedora is a community developed distro with releases twice a year focused on breaking down, eating your children and wowing your ubuntu friends.

RHEL is an enterprise distro coming out once every 5 years or so, between these life cycles there are in-family-upgrades that fixes stuff and introduces minor upgrades and features (virtualisation, firefox, etc) but these point releases (5.x,y,z) are still based on the same RHEL/fedora, because they always have to be compatible and stable during the entire lifetime. RHEL doesnt do in lifecycle kernel upgrades like fedora either.

Not all fedora releases are the basis for a redhat release. the community throws out a kazillion things every 6 months and some of those innovations *might* make it into the next RHEL. so RHEL6 will be based on F11 from what i hear with some F12 thrown in if i am informed right (and of course F10, F9, F8 are all still incorporated in F11 so things done there that actually worked have not been lost) but it isn't a 1-on-1 port either, i could hardly see plymouth making it into RHEL6 by default for example.

so actually there isn't a "gap" at all...

stefan

I do not use any of the desktop stop for RHEL, Centos or Fedora. (except for my desktop which I have always exclusively used Fedora for again having the hardware compatability I need).

I ran for years with Centos and RHEL without issue for servers. So far with Fedora I have found virtually no difference in support other than Fedora being a plus by having the hardware support I need, the updated rpm features I need but with the drawback being the release cycle.

stefan1975
7th May 2009, 09:04 PM
well fedora runs perfectly for me as well ..... on my laptop ..... but the pulseaudio glitches, occasional kerneloops (probably caused by me running rawhide), nouveau driver issues, installer experiments, and other new stuff for me is way too risky to put it on any of my work servers (my home server is running fedora though because i like playing around with it), i prefer RHEL's boring stability ancient packages, the fact that you have someone to call when **** hits the fan and that updating actually always works all the time without keeping your fingers crossed (plus I ran a FC2 mailserver until last year that cured me for ever on thinking fedora is a good idea for production servers .... try to get clamav updates for FC2 now and you will be sorely frustrated).

s.

mikerock
7th May 2009, 09:15 PM
ran a FC2 mailserver until last year that cured me for ever on thinking fedora is a good idea for production servers .... try to get clamav updates for FC2 now and you will be sorely frustrated).

s.

I agree there that the older Fedora stuff was pretty buggy. I am however really suprised at how well FC8, FC9 and FC10 have worked out. But then again once I have it stable I am really careful what yum updates and when possible try to only update for security.