PDA

View Full Version : DEll 530

spandy2002
6th May 2009, 04:54 PM
I bought a new dell 530 with 3gb memory, After installation i saw the Memory it consumed was 2.7GB. I was left with hardly 300MB. I need to install Oracle 10g. Then I decided to buy extra Memory. I added 4 GB currently. But the system board shows 4GB. But Fedora see only 3.2 GB, I read many forms Now it 32 Bit versus 64 Bit. I think Dell 530 can only recognise 3.2GB, My question is how will i make Fedore to recognise 4gb? After that I need to install oracle 10G so that i can use 1 Gig memory atleat. If it does not recognise 4gb there is no point haveing extra memory. I need a advice and usefull link which can solve my problem. Can we make Install Fedora so that it will use 2Gb and 1 gb is left to install oracle. I need your help very badly. Appreciate your help

Thanks Spandy

notageek
6th May 2009, 05:16 PM
Please post the output of the following:

$ cat /proc/meminfo |head -1|awk '{print $2/1024}'

spandy2002
6th May 2009, 06:50 PM
free -t -v or looking for memory from system resource can tell what is uesd, I did not understand your reply.

I need to know how to use 4 gb memory?
if not possible please adivce how to see that fedora takes only 2G while install so that i can use 1Gb for my install, Please any one answer if you understnad this question please.

notageek
6th May 2009, 06:55 PM
Heh! :D No problem.

If its not apparent already, that the total amount of RAM on your system is seen as 3.2GB, there's probably nothing much you can do about it if you're already running a 64 bit kernel.

The output of the command would tell you how much actual memory is in there. Sorry but I can't be of much assistance.

spandy2002
6th May 2009, 07:01 PM
Yup Irrespective of 32 Bit or 64 Bit kernel it shows only 3.2 GB, I read in Dell Forms. But I need to know if there is any other way to see it uses only 2 Gig, iF not any Linux flavor will help me to install if it uses around 2 Gb, even Ubuntu Linux has same problem.Any one Any ideas is greatly Appreciated

notageek
6th May 2009, 07:10 PM
No Linux flavour will help you achieve this. The simplest way to explain this is by taking example of hard drives. A "160 GB" hard drive is actually 156GB hard drive. Why? If you read the label of the hard drive it says 160 billion bytes, therefore if you devide by 1000 you get "160GB", but we know 1kb = 1024b etc, same is probably the case with your RAM sticks.

It probably has 4 billion bytes capacity (or less) and although if you divide it by 1000 you get "4GB", in actual its close to 3.7GB (or less) depending on your RAM sticks.

The command I gave you initially calculates how many actual MBs is seen by the kernel (ie how much actual hardware megabytes is present), you can also check the amount of hardware bytes by checking this:

# dmesg|grep Memory

You may then divide the value by 1073741824 (1024*1024*1024), the value thus obtained is the max hardware you have. Period.