PDA

View Full Version : Adding Languages

Wiedzmin
5th May 2009, 01:45 PM
Hello,

I am new to Linux systems, and was wondering, how to add other languages to Fedora? I am using Fedora 10, and am particularly interested in Japanese and Russian.

Thank you for your time.

Wayne
5th May 2009, 01:55 PM
You can fire up the package manager or install yumex (Yum Extender) which will give you a list of all package groups, including languages which you can install... Or in a root Terminal, type:

yum install scim-lang-japanese

Wayne

Wiedzmin
5th May 2009, 02:08 PM
Awesome; thank you very much!

I have just installed it. Very sorry to bother you, but two more small questions.
1) How do I switch between languages to type?
2) Will programs and add-ons like these that I install separately also be updated by the yum search jdk command as the basic system software is?

P.S. Does it matter for SCIM functionality if I use KDE?

Wayne
5th May 2009, 02:20 PM
In Gnome you have to log out and back in again for the Panel im-switcher icon to show up... KDE is totally alien to me, sorry. Check your KDE menu thingie. All programs installed via yum will updated when updates become available....

Wayne

Wayne
5th May 2009, 02:30 PM
I also can't remember if these two commands in a USER (non-root) Terminal are still required:

mkdir ~/.xinput.d

ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim ~/.xinput.d/default

Wayne

Wiedzmin
5th May 2009, 10:22 PM
Wayne, thank you very much for your help. SCIM does work right now, and those last two commands were not required, but thank you for them either way.

Wayne
6th May 2009, 02:43 AM
No problem, although I'm surprised Scott didn't jump in either :) He probably has a life though, unlike me :)

Now you've got Scim/Japanese. it's easy to add other supported languages the same way.

yum install scim-lang-languagename

You may also want to grab some nice Japanese TT fonts. Just stick 'em in a hidden folder under your home, if you're the only user, called .fonts (The dot means it's hidden) For example:

~/.fonts/japanese
~/.fonts/russian

etc, etc. For Japanese, I have:

MS Arial Unicode
MS Mincho
MS Gothic
Meiryo
Mikachan

There are plenty more to be found but I like these and there are couple more in the Fedora repos (Sazanami Gothic, etc)

Wayne

scottro
6th May 2009, 02:47 AM
Ok, that was funny. (to the OP, original poster, it has to do with another thread.)

Going to the KDE question--although I use neither Gnome nor KDE, there is actually a program, skim, which apparently has some KDE wrapper scripts. Whether this works as well, or better with KDE than does scim, I have no idea.

Judging from your experience, it seems to be unnecessary.

Wayne
6th May 2009, 02:50 AM
I had a life yesterday, so it must be your turn today :D

Wayne

Wiedzmin
6th May 2009, 04:15 PM
Oh, thank you. About the TrueType fonts, I can just download them from the 'net?

Also, while playing around with the system yesterday, I found that you can add a Japanese keyboard layout from within Fedora itself, without SCIM, but for some reason, it types only in Romaji (or very weird katakana). Would you happen to know what that is?

scottro
6th May 2009, 05:50 PM
I think it's my turn to have a life, so you'll probably have to wait for Wayne. (In other words, I don't know the answer off the top of my head. So Wayne, even if today is your life day, onegai itashimasu.

Wiedzmin
6th May 2009, 07:24 PM
Well, I am currently studying for finals, which equals having no life, so I'm here bothering the both of you.

Mina-san, arigatou gozaima****a.

scottro
6th May 2009, 10:29 PM
Heh, well, here we are, three lifeless wild and crazy folks.

Wayne
7th May 2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that keyboard question either. Golden Week is over and folks are back to work today (Thursday) I have got a lot to do before I open at 5pm tonight so I won't have much of a life today or be much help :(

Wayne

Wiedzmin
7th May 2009, 03:04 AM
Wow... I thought Golden Week was over even earlier. It's awesome you're in Japan right now.

In any case, Wayne and Scottro, thank you to both of you. Enjoy your lives. =)