PDA

View Full Version : List of Installed Applications in Gnome Applications Menu

BandC
4th May 2009, 09:07 PM
I am thinking about doing a reinstall for Fedora 11. Is there a way to get the list of installed applications so that I remember what applications to reinstall after I install F11? "rpm -qa" is kind of useless in this case because it lists all the packages. I am basically looking for a text file list snapshot of the installed applications in the Gnome Applications menu. Since there is a utility that can be used to arrange the applications menu, I assume the list exists somewhere in a text file format. Thanks.

Seve
4th May 2009, 09:35 PM
Hello:
Great question ... although I can't come up with a great answer :)

Try
locate .desktop | sort

and see how that lines up with what you have appearing in your menu(s).

If you want to dump all the installed packages, try

yum list installed |sort -d |cat -b >> /home/username/rpmlisting

Seve

PabloTwo
5th May 2009, 12:22 AM
Here's a variation of Seve's suggestion:

cat /var/log/yum.log | grep Installed | sort >> installed-programs

You may have 'archived' yum.log files also that you would need to run the command on as well. On my F8 install:

~/> ls /var/log/yum.log*
/var/log/yum.log /var/log/yum.log-20080810 /var/log/yum.log-20090101

The yum.log file(s) won't show any packages you installed directly with the rpm command though.
It also would show packages that you have since Erased.

Edit: You could/should drop the " | sort " part of the command I gave as the files are listed chronologically by date anyway and would sort by name of month.

BandC
7th May 2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you both. Seve's suggestion is fairly close to what I want. I got some extra stuff with it but it seems like it gives a reasonable snapshot of programs installed: in the order of hundreds instead of thousands. Thanks.

PabloTwo
7th May 2009, 07:19 PM
Actually, doing: ls /usr/share/applications > menu-programs

would probably be the most compact method and closest to your original stated goal. Not every .desktop file in that directory will show an entry in your applications menu, but every item that is in your menu (save for a very few, like wine installed winodows apps) will have an entry there.

And, obviously, the names of the .desktop files don't directly translate to the name of the rpm package, but usually close enough for you to figure it out.

fedora-timidity.desktop = rpm package timidity++, as an example.