PDA

View Full Version : gdesklets how does it run on your system?

krazibon3
14th September 2004, 02:31 AM
Hey fellas i'm just after some feedbackfrom those whom have gdesklets running on their ystem? what are your specs and is it smooth as i heard it eats up a lot of resources and may slow the computer down a bit? i'm planning on installing gdesklets to spice up my desktop a little bit.

My specs are
P4 2.6Ghz
512 RAM (adding another 512RAM soon)
Radeon 9600xt
Abit IS7-E motherboard
80gb sata HD
120gb sata HD
Running KDE at the moment

Any feedback or thoughts are welcome.

imdeemvp
14th September 2004, 02:36 AM
i used gdesklets for a while and even though i have 1gb of ram it i felt it was just eating to much ram so i switch to a lightweight here (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21517) and if you are using fc2 you will need this packages from dag (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=94345&postcount=3)

jcstille
14th September 2004, 02:37 AM
Well I have had no problems installed on one of my machines. I use that machine once a week and seems fine. A little performance loss, but not truly noticable on the hardware configuration (similar to yours, except 1gb ram)

reks
14th September 2004, 02:45 AM
Well, if you are running kde, use karamba/super-karamba. Thats equivalent to gdesklets. In any case, both karamba and gdesklets does take up a lot of your cpu/memory :rolleyes:

I've tried them both a few times and gave up since "x" usage of memory goes up by few percentage and cpu is never more than 75-85 % idle. Oh wait.. I'm on an ancient 1GHz PIII/256MB.

Just my $0.02..

imdeemvp
14th September 2004, 02:46 AM
superkarambar its very cool too.....i tried it.

krazibon3
14th September 2004, 02:48 AM
Yeh i was previously using gkrellm on my old HD which made my system abit slow so i decided to chuck linux on a another SATA HD and upgraded to the lastest kernel 2.6.8-1 which for some reason it felt abit faster then the previous kernel 4.6.7 .

Doesn't gkrellm allready come with fc2 when you do a fresh install? what desktop manager are you using imdeemvp? I'm using torsmo atm which is la very light monitoring program.

imdeemvp
14th September 2004, 02:50 AM
i use gnome and gkrellm no it does not come included in fc2...........

krazibon3
14th September 2004, 02:56 AM
ahhh i see

i might be abit different, because i did a install with everything from the cd's and if you looked in system tools you will find it. On the other hand i guess gdesklets is a no go from the linux community :D

imdeemvp
14th September 2004, 08:27 AM
dont get us wrong.....gDesklets is way better in look it just eats up the ram specially if you dont have the adecuate ram...same as xp....the candy looks kill the ram.

krazibon3
14th September 2004, 09:29 AM
nah its cool i think superkaramba looks pretty nifty as it is also designed for KDE. Gonna give gkellm a second try, thank god for yum without it i would still be stuck god knows where in trying to configure me linux.

imdeemvp
14th September 2004, 09:48 AM
you are right.........