PDA

View Full Version : package update breaks function and rollback

lodore
1st May 2009, 11:43 PM
Hello,
about a month ago I done an update on fedora 10 and after the update of network manager my wireless card isnt shown in network manager. was quite a few people with the same problem on these forums.
now if i was away on a trip and only had access to wireless networks what am i ment to do?
in my case i was at home and have dual boot,wired connection and a second computer.
the only way was to find and download an older version of the network manager packages and use the force downgrade command. i couldnt get the commands right so i gave up and am waiting for an upgrade of network manager.

below is a possible solution:

Im really surprised that package managers dont keep an older version of packages incase the upgrade causes problems. in other words open up package kit search for network manager highlight all installed packages right click and choose option downgrade. once downgrade is complete wireless would work again.

if fedora already has an option to downgrade packages using packagekit without having to download the older packages by hand please tell me how.

btw i wasnt sure which section to post this in.

HMSS013
2nd May 2009, 05:25 PM
you're not the only one that's disappointed that repositories don't hang onto older (and sometimes more functional) packages.

what type of wireless card are you using?!

lodore
2nd May 2009, 06:26 PM
Hello HMSS013,
I have a realtek RTL8187 on my asus P5K-wifi motherboard.