PDA

View Full Version : iPod mini

jzke
12th September 2004, 07:28 AM
Hey, I got my iPod mini, and gtkpod hoping it'd be all good. The ipod mini sortof auto mounts, as in its in my mnt drive, but when i try and look thruogh the mnt/ipod/ folder theres nothing there. I got gtkpod, but it says "Could not open "iTunesDB.ext" '... Anyone hav any idea about whats going on???

imdeemvp
12th September 2004, 07:50 AM
how was this ipod formartted? ntfs or fat32?

jzke
12th September 2004, 11:36 AM
no idea, did i ever hav a choice? how can i check?

Shadow Skill
12th September 2004, 03:59 PM
It's probably not automounting it at all, it probably just made that directory for you in /etc/fstab (I'm not in fedora right now so I can't check if that path is right or not.), as far as I know you have to either explicitly mount it from a terminal as root or you put a mount entry into fstab. (There is an example of how to do this with a regular Ipod around here somewhere I think.)

If you want to mount the mini open a terminal and type:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod

This is of course assuming that you have already formatted it for use with a windows machine (Windows formats it as fat32.) which I would recomend since I have not had any filesystem issues with it, besides its easier for me to just let windows handle the formatting since linux doesn't have issues with fat32. If you have not formatted it at all for use with a PC the filesystem is hfs I believe. (While it is possible to use hfs with Linux I don't think the support is as solid as fat and fat32.)

If you want to eject the ipod (Unmounting alone does not make it safe to remove apparently.) type as root
eject ipod or eject /mnt/ipod

Please note that the above instructions may not apply if you are using a firewire cable and port. Also note that the above instructions hold true for 3g Ipods connected via usb 2.0 cable, the mini may behave slightly differently.

A word of caution avoid using multiple programs to write to your Ipod as band things MAY happen to your database (I.E. Corruption.) pick one program and stick with it, preferably one that works with windows as well as Linux just in case you dual boot and don't feel like booting out everytime you want to write music to the Ipod.

imdeemvp
12th September 2004, 09:23 PM
no idea, did i ever hav a choice? how can i check?

when it mounts in windows under my computer you should be able to see which format it is....

it is vfat follow shadow kill instructions.......

Shadow Skill
13th September 2004, 01:01 AM
Its Shadow Skill... :/

imdeemvp
13th September 2004, 03:13 AM
Its Shadow Skill... :/

my bad, i thought you were a cyber ninja.............:D

jzke
13th September 2004, 01:13 PM
well, windows says it's formatted as FAT32, but i tried this command as root

but it came back with this error...

mount: /dev/sda2: can't read superblock

Hmm, i really don't know what to do :S, what to do next...???

imdeemvp
14th September 2004, 08:35 AM
you need to make a directory to mount it

1. open terminal and as root type:

cd /mnt/
mkdir ipod <-- ipod (or whatever name you wanna use) will be the name of folder created in the mount section
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod <-- this command should moumt your ipod in the mount section

let me know if it works....

zerocross
14th September 2004, 10:26 AM
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod/

lot of ppl have the same prob - see here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213012&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

i tested it on a different fedora box with a 2.4 kernel and guess what it worked there but with the 2.6 one no chance :-/

imdeemvp
14th September 2004, 11:46 AM
but guys, is the mini pad listing in hd as /dev/sda2 ??

because it is fat32 it not really hard to mount, it would be like mounting a usb flash key:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1291

zerocross
14th September 2004, 12:04 PM
i tried to mount a 20 gig (click-wheel) ipod, the last one that came out but the problem for the mini ipod and the new generation nomral ipods seem to be the same, thats why i posted here.
its fat32 and it has a sda1 and sda2 (this is the big one i want to get mounted) partition on it.

Shadow Skill
15th September 2004, 01:05 AM
As far as I know the new clickwheel Ipod's have NOT been mounted in Linux successfully, there seems to be something different about those Ipods as aopposed to the last generation. (One more reason not to buy a ####### clickwheel Ipod.) The Ipod may also mount as sdb, the sda2 (or sdb2) designation is where the important files are stored (everything you can see in windows when it is placed into disk mode, as well as the normally hidden [under windows. But perfectly visible in Linux] ipod control folder which actually contains the music itself in directories f00 - f19. [numbers could be slightly different, I'm going off of what is in my ipod control folder.] )

Also there appears to be an fc2 bug when it comes to hardware detection in that it may sometimes simply not detect it on boot (probably related to the Kudzu bug.) it used to do it with my Ipod quite a bit, but now it seems to only do it to my logitech keyboard.. (some times my mouse isn't brought up properly.)

jzke
16th September 2004, 10:08 AM
thats cool. thnx for your help ppl. Thankfully I dual boot with XP so my iPod will be fine. :)

imdeemvp
16th September 2004, 10:33 AM
thats cool. thnx for your help ppl. Thankfully I dual boot with XP so my iPod will be fine. :)

that's great....that you got it working.

jzke
16th September 2004, 01:09 PM
done, and done:D

imdeemvp
16th September 2004, 07:58 PM
done, and done:D

see now if some one comes up with same question this will be use as guide, any what did you end up doing?....whats the secret man :D

asciilogic
19th January 2005, 12:59 AM
i don't know if u already figured this out...but i had same prob...and managed to figure it out.

i updated to latest kernel (2.6.10-1.741_FC3) on FC3...

then plugged in my iPod Mini

checked dmesg to see if i received any errors...received none...just saw the iPod info.

since my 2nd usb port corresponds to sda2...and my iPod Mini's name is GLOIN, i mounted the following:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /media/GLOIN <---or ipod name

***NOTICE that i mounted to /media...that is b/c /mnt/<anyname> didn't work...when i checked /media, i noticed that a share had already been created there with my iPod's name...so i mounted it and it worked.****

well, windows says it's formatted as FAT32, but i tried this command as root

but it came back with this error...

Hmm, i really don't know what to do :S, what to do next...???

mgor
19th January 2005, 11:33 AM
you haven't created any playlists and there are no playlists on it?
if there are no playlists a iTune db haven't been created yet.
try creating a new playlist and then syncronize the ipod and it will work :)