PDA

View Full Version : Wrong gpm behaviour with Midnight Commander, elinks, etc.

TomasM
18th April 2009, 02:41 AM
I can't get mouse interaction to work when I'm in logged into a tty (with gpm enabled) and run a non-graphical app which supports mouse interaction, such as Midnight Commander (mc) or elinks. I can still copy and paste text with the mouse, but can't expand menus or click on buttons; if I try to double-click something, gpm text-selection occurs instead of the expected behaviour. I'm not running 'screen' or anything similar, and I've tried with and without an X-server running (and with and without gpm in repeater mode for the former case).

When I run these apps in a terminal emulator like Konsole under X, everything works perfectly and as expected. After I make /dev/input/mice readable for all users on account of this unresolved bug (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=472763), I can boot into runlevel 3 (with gpm started), run an SDL app and use the mouse with no trouble.

I know some apps (should) require a modifier key to be held down for gpm's default select-copy→paste to work at all, and that the program's normal mouse interaction is disabled while the key is held down. In case the opposite is at play here I even tried holding down combinations of Shift, Ctrl and Alt while clicking with the mouse, but that still didn't work.

Can someone help with this please?

RupertPupkin
18th April 2009, 05:47 AM
Hmm, gpm works fine for me in Midnight Commander and other apps in console mode, whether X is running on another virtual terminal or not. It sounds like gpm is not using the correct mouse type. You could try this in console mode:
/etc/init.d/gpm stop
/usr/sbin/gpm -t help

Pick the mouse type that fits your mouse then try
/usr/sbin/gpm -t <whatever_that_type_is>

TomasM
18th April 2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Rupert.

I've tried all mouse types without success. I'm using a laptop with an in-built touchpad (/dev/input/mouse0), and I've also tried with a USB mouse (/dev/input/mouse1). I tried all of:

gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t type
gpm -m /dev/input/mouse0 -t type
gpm -m /dev/input/mouse1 -t type
for each type (except touchscreen drivers), with a gpm -k after each trial. I only got both a moving cursor and console select-copy→paste when using ps2, exps2 or imps2 drivers, even for the touchpad. A couple of other drivers allowed me to move the cursor with the USB mouse, but not highlight any text in console mode. Should the evdev driver have worked?

Now that I know it works for you, I'm wondering if this is a hardware issue. I've just checked my dmesg for mouse references:

dmesg | grep -ni mouse
428:input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input3
551:mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
563:usb 2-2: Product: Microsoft Notebook/Mobile Optical Mouse 2.0
570:input: Microsoft Microsoft Notebook/Mobile Optical Mouse 2.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/input/input7
571:input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft Notebook/Mobile Optical Mouse 2.0] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2
763:input: Microsoft Microsoft Notebook/Mobile Optical Mouse 2.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/input/input11
764:input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft Notebook/Mobile Optical Mouse 2.0] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2
767:usb 2-2: Product: Microsoft Notebook/Mobile Optical Mouse 2.0

dmesg | grep -ni syn
589:Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 6.2, id: 0xa5a0b1, caps: 0xa04713/0x0
590:synaptics: Toshiba Satellite M40 detected, limiting rate to 40pps.
591:input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input8
I have a very non-configurable Phoenix BIOS on a Toshiba Sattelite laptop. I'm not sure, but I think it uses PS/2 emulation for external input devices. But the PS/2 drivers didn't work..