View Full Version : Poor package installation routines

11th September 2004, 06:54 PM
After installing FC2 I decided to install some more packages. Having selected a couple of categories from the Add/Remove Software program, I clicked 'Install'.

The program then asked for CD1.
Then CD2
Then CD1
Then CD2
Then CD1
Then CD2..
etc.. etc.. for approximately 20 times!!

Now forgive me for saying the obvious here but what the hells all that about..? The install program should surely make a list of whatever files are needed off each CD, copy them to disk and then install them. My poor laptop CD Mechanism has taken a right bashing with all that ejecting and reinserting. :-(

12th September 2004, 09:47 PM
You may have come across an unfortunate set of dependencies that spanned disks 1 and 2. Like package A on 1 needs B on 2 which needs C on 1, but before that D needs to be installed from 2 etc.

There's a bug filed (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=131924) about this.

20th September 2004, 04:37 PM
I know not everyone has a DVD burner but I find just needing the one disc makes life just a little easier. DVD burners are going cheap nowadays too.

28th October 2004, 02:35 PM
The requirement for a whole library of CDs has always been an issue with me personally. Before I got my DSL service, it was the SOLE reason I tried other smaller distibutions.

Shadow Skill
28th October 2004, 08:30 PM
ah teh power of DVD's, but that is a bit insane. You could try a network install if you have DSL and about 4 hours or so.