PDA

View Full Version : A Bad Burn or bad ISO?

Waggoneer
3rd April 2009, 03:14 AM
I downloaded the x86_64 version of Fedora 11 two days ago, after first testing the new OS on my laptop. I used the uTorrent application.
I burned the ISO and then attempted to install 11 in text mode. However, the process stopped and told me, "File system error detected, cannot continue." I then ran a check disk and the disk failed the test.
I did a "force recheck" on my file and burned another DVD using a different program (CDCC instead of the native linux one.)
This one failed also with the same error.

Do I have a bad download? Do I need to start a whole new download of the ISO? Also, when I left uTorrent open to share the ISO was I sharing a corrupted version of the ISO?
Should I skip using a torrent and just do a direct download?

SlowJet
3rd April 2009, 03:28 AM
It is very diffucult to get a bad iso from a torrent as each piece of 256k is checksummed and verified after the download.
I would put my money on the a bad burn, usually caused by to fast, or cheap media.
And some DVD's are just cheap windows junk that only last about a year.

Lastly, there could be a bug in one of the programs you are using. But I have never got a bad download from buggy Fedora software. lol

If you try another download, limt the bandwidth to 350k/s down and 50k/s up.

SJ

zoinksbob
3rd April 2009, 04:02 AM
I'm having the exact same problem. I have tried it with the Live GNOME image, the Live KDE image, and the net install image. I have tried both burning to CD and also using a USB stick. I have gotten the exact same error on every attempt.
"Filesystem error detected. Cannot continue."
I have tried downloading through both torrent and http.

The torrents contain a text file with an SHA1 sum for the iso, and I notice that the sums don't match for either the GNOME or the KDE iso. I don't know what's going on, but at this point, I'm pretty sure the problem isn't my fault. Not to sound cokey... :)

SlowJet
3rd April 2009, 04:47 AM
Use shh256

zoinksbob
3rd April 2009, 04:57 AM
Use shh256

Sorry... what? You're going to have to elaborate.

SlowJet
3rd April 2009, 05:15 AM
Sorry... what? You're going to have to elaborate.

Sorry,
I mean sha256
which is program
sha256sum
to check the iso.
as F11 was change from sha1 to sha256 for more features.

The LiveCD installer could still be using sha1 but the iso is sha256.

SJ

zoinksbob
3rd April 2009, 05:29 AM
Sorry,
I mean sha256
which is program
sha256sum
to check the iso.
as F11 was change from sha1 to sha256 for more features.

The LiveCD installer could still be using sha1 but the iso is sha256.

SJ

Ah ha! Now the sums DO match! But the signature file in the torrent still plainly says
"Hash: SHA1"
That needs to be fixed.

SlowJet
3rd April 2009, 05:31 AM
Well, round up your friends and go fix it. :)

SJ

zoinksbob
3rd April 2009, 05:45 AM
Hrrmm... But this still doesn't explain why I can't install either of the live images. I still get the message "Filesystem error detected. Cannot continue."
I get this error from both the live image installer and the net install image. And I've tried this from a USB stick, so it's not a disk burning issue.

I guess the question is... why am I encountering this, but not other people?

Waggoneer
3rd April 2009, 04:52 PM
I ran the sha256sum program and the checksums matched up, so I must have a good image. I am going to put in a new DVD drive, in case my drive is going bad. It was making some weird noises trying to read the DVD.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

5d0296c46d4af54bd0891e709a9bc89eef5bdd1eee1796e3fd 165096353a5552 *Fedora-11-Beta-x86_64-DVD.is

[Jason@lintop Fedora-11-Beta-x86_64-DVD]$ sha256sum Fedora-11-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso
5d0296c46d4af54bd0891e709a9bc89eef5bdd1eee1796e3fd 165096353a5552 Fedora-11-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso

RahulSundaram
3rd April 2009, 09:25 PM
Hi,

Btw the SHA1 note in the text file is part of the gpg signature and doesn't indicate the checksum. SHA256 is used throughout Fedora 11 Beta as indicated in the feature list and the release notes as well.

Waggoneer
3rd April 2009, 10:44 PM
So I was doing it wrong? How do I verify the integrity of my download?

RahulSundaram
3rd April 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi

What you did was just fine

Waggoneer
4th April 2009, 01:35 AM
**********UPDATE*******************
So I replaced my DVD Burner with a new one. The old one I had bought in 2004 and just kept migrating it as I upgraded to newer computers. It wasnt reliably booting to the DVD, so I thought it might be causeing my problem. I put a brand new Sony DVD MultiDrive in.

I was optomistic when the Install DVD then was able to pass the disk check.

I proceeded to try and do the install. However, I again got the message, "Filesystem error detected. Install cannot continue." Is there anyway to debug the reason for the failure? This always occurs after setting up the keyboard, when the installer is checking for my hard drives and trying to see the existing partitions.

I currently dual-boot my OSes. I have Fedora 10 and Windows 7 on my main 80GB hard drive. I then have a software raid setup with two 150GB drives for mirroring. (My hardware specs are in my signature).

Could this be causing a problem?

zoinksbob
4th April 2009, 02:08 AM
I'm still having the exact same problem as the OP. At this point I've tried downloading 3 different images, and I've verified the sums on all of them. I've also tried installing from a USB stick, so that eliminates a problem with a burn or an optical drive. I think there's something wrong with the install image, I'm just not sure why some people are encountering it and others aren't.

zoinksbob
4th April 2009, 02:23 AM
Oh psych! I just got it to install by using a different hard drive in the same machine. So I think the problem has to do with that the partition layout looks like when the installer tries to read it.

The drive that didn't work had an NTFS partition, then a blank space where F11 was supposed to go, then an OpenSolaris ZFS partition. The drive that is working I've just wiped the partition table, but when I started the installer, the drive had NTFS and Linux partitions, but no empty space in the partition table and no Solaris.

Waggoneer
4th April 2009, 03:21 AM
My OS HD just has F10 and Win7. I will try disconnecting my raid drives to see if that gets me past the installer.

Waggoneer
4th April 2009, 04:50 AM
I unplugged my RAID drives from the motherboard and the installer then worked... mostly.
There was a few random crashes but I was able to get it up to the desktop on the third try.

On the first try I enabled the rawhide repo and added the software development repos. The installer error-ed out looking for the ACL package. Then the Anaconda crashed trying to eject the DVD.

I got it to work by installing with the basic graphic drivers and not selecting any extra repos or software packages.

I am running a full yum update right now, some 600MB of updates.

dbelcher
4th April 2009, 05:24 AM
I'm getting a boot problem also... D/L with wget. When booting it can't find the linux kernel and of course stops... Since some people are getting good copies I wonder if it is a mirror problem?

Dave

SlowJet
4th April 2009, 06:53 AM
Oh psych! I just got it to install by using a different hard drive in the same machine. So I think the problem has to do with that the partition layout looks like when the installer tries to read it.

The drive that didn't work had an NTFS partition, then a blank space where F11 was supposed to go, then an OpenSolaris ZFS partition. The drive that is working I've just wiped the partition table, but when I started the installer, the drive had NTFS and Linux partitions, but no empty space in the partition table and no Solaris.

There is a bug about partitions not being handled by anaconda, mentioned on the fedora devl list.

In a root term type in
# blkid

make sure the partition type is correct.
See bug mentioned for btrfs tried to mount zfs.

I just saw that my /boot is ext2, a slip of the mouse during install?

SJ