PDA

View Full Version : F-11 beta KDE

vinoman
1st April 2009, 02:46 PM
I ran F-11 KDE beta 32bit yesterday and it looks real good graphics wise but I couldn't find any wifi connection. What do you click on to see your wifi network so you can enter your key number? Also the touchpad on my Acer Extensa 4420 laptop didn't work. First time I've seen a live CD not detect the touchpad. Any clues?

AdamW
1st April 2009, 09:30 PM
the network manager in the panel should show available networks; if not, your wifi isn't working.

for the touchpad issue - can you pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log for us to see?

vinoman
1st April 2009, 09:41 PM
the network manager in the panel should show available networks; if not, your wifi isn't working.

for the touchpad issue - can you pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log for us to see?

It works automatically with Mint and Ubuntu. Why can't Fedora do it?

I guess I won't be installing it on the laptop. :(

AdamW
1st April 2009, 10:22 PM
I can't say for sure unless you tell us, but from Google, it looks like the wireless chipset in that model is a Broadcom. There is no 100% free driver for Broadcom, which is why we can't have it work out of the box in Fedora. Ubuntu and Mint use a partially non-free driver to make it work.

Fedora does include a free driver for these chips - b43 - but it doesn't work until provided with some firmware, which has to be extracted from the (non-free) Windows driver (hence we can't ship it). There are instructions around these forums for doing that.

The non-free driver used by Ubuntu and Mint - wl - is available in a popular third party repository for Fedora, and works fine once installed that way. Again, you can find instructions around these forums for doing that - just search for 'broadcom'.

vinoman
2nd April 2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info. It is a bw43 Broadcom. I had to do some configuring last year with it. It's running Mint 5 now. So I'm sure it can be done with F-11. It would have been nice to run fedora and see the wifi connection and have it just work. I'll leave Mint on this laptop for now. I'll probably install F-11 on one of my desktops that use a wire so it's easy. F-10 works well right now on my main desktop so it will be good to see what F-11 will be like once it goes final in May.

AdamW
2nd April 2009, 09:37 PM
Mint ships the proprietary wl driver, which is why it works out of the box. Fedora has a policy of only shipping free software, so we cannot include this driver. It's not a technical problem or something Fedora just hasn't bothered to do yet; it's a freedom issue.