PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot and how to set up swap

mickwombat
30th March 2009, 10:45 PM
I am about to embark on setting up my system with a dual (actually triple with windows) boot system and was wondering how to set up the swap partition.

Would like to have both distros use the same swap partition to save disk space. How should I set up this format and where should it be located? Should the swap be before the Linux partitions or at the end (I mean at the far right when viewing in Gparted)?.

Does my windows partition need to be located immediately after the MBR?

On that note, when reinstalling an image of a partition, can I do that to a partition that is bigger than the original and will the extra space be available?

Many thanks

bob
30th March 2009, 11:37 PM
You can use the same swap if both distros are set up using ext3 instead of the default LVM (Fedora). I've got 6 distros all using one swap.

mickwombat
8th April 2009, 08:54 AM
I tried to set up like that, but didn't seem to work, though I'm probably doing something wrong. Am going to start again anyway.

One thing is only being able to have four primary partitions. Suppose I have one for /boot, Windows & swap, then the remaining one will have to be an extended one.
In the extended partition, how do I set up the logical partitions to have three Linux distros and a seperate /home partition to be used by all of them.

When installing F10, I can then make a partition for , / , but what happens when I then try to put another distro on.....surely I can't have three logical drives with identical labels and mount points. Am I able to have each distro only mount /home and it's own / partition and ignore the other / partitions that are used by the other distros.

I guess what I am asking Bob is.....how did you set up your box with six distros on?

bob
8th April 2009, 12:13 PM
My set-up is very simple. I've got six partitions on each drive, three main and three extended. Each distro is set up as ext3, so one swap handles every distro. Then, I installed the first distro, let's say that's Mint, as normal, letting it overwrite the mbr. Every other install, I use custom partitioning, directing where root (/) is to be and then installing the bootloader onto the distro's root partition, rather than overwriting the mbr.

Now, Mint's grub is simply tweaked a bit. I add configfile entries for each of the other distros. The configfile will read something like this:

title Fedora
configfile (hd1,1)/boot/grub/grub.conf

title Debian
configfile (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menu.lst

Except for Fedora, most other distros grab from the menu.lst not a grub.conf. This also allows each distro to update their kernel without me having to change the main grub menu each time.

Now, the exception to this would be if you added a LILO distro. Configfiles aren't going to work with that one, since there's no grub. You'd have to add the LILO boot info directly from the distro. I've got Vector installed, which is that way. Again, it's pretty simple. Just mount the installed distro, grab the LILO entry and paste it into your menu. Of course, you'd have to adjust that one if kernels changed.

Hope that helps. If I'm still 'as clear as mud', I can post my current menu to show what I mean.

mickwombat
15th April 2009, 07:18 AM
Hi Bob,
Well after several re-installs due to messing up the bootloader etc, I finally have a system with F10 and Suse. Am using the F10 bootloader but now my Windows does not boot.

During all the installs, the partition with Windows was not touched and I can still see all the files in there, but when I choose to boot it, I now just end up with a Grub command line.

As fas as I can tell, the grub.conf is fine.

Any ideas on what to check for.

Thanks