PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Desktops (Want bookmarks and Apps menus via mouseclicks)

kilolima
3rd March 2009, 11:12 PM
Hi,

The move from KDE 3.5 to 4.x has left me out in the cold. As much as I try, KDE 4.x just doesn't work as well for me. I've tried XFCE, which I've used for awhile, and in desperation, even GNOME. However, I found GNOME to be even less-featured or customizable than the new KDE! (the file manager opening new windows for each directory was shocking-- it was like MS Windows 3.1 all over again!)

Anyway, I would really really like the ability to do 2 things like I could in KDE 3.5:

set mouse clicks on the desktop to either :

1. Open bookmarks
2. Open application menu

And, this may be a far-off fantasy, but it would be nice again to have different background images for each virtual desktop.

Does anybody have any ideas to set this? XFCE has a right click application menu, but then the process to edit the menu is so byzantine if you want to change the apps or add bookmarks.

Ideally, I could make a custom menu with a combination of bookmarks and apps, as I had in KDE 3.5, so it was easy to sort tasks by folder locations, most used apps for that tasks, etc.

cheers,

kilolima

ozjd
3rd March 2009, 11:29 PM
This is a similar question to what I had a while ago. I solved it (or at least improved things a bit) in 2 ways. On an older desktop I use xfce. There I added my favourite to the Launcher at the bottom of the screen. Right click on it and "add new item" - Launcher. Use the setup in existing icons there as a guide where to find the links.

In KDE 4.2 which I use on my newer laptop I set up key combos to launch my favourites. It works now with 4.2, couldn't get it to in 4.1

Not perfect suggestions but may help a bit.

Different backgrounds would be nice, maybe KDE 4.3?

kilolima
4th March 2009, 12:02 AM
I like XFCE, it's fast and easy to use.. I have also tried KDE 4.2 and it's just slower (and this is a fast laptop) but just a little, for example with yakuake.

I'm also not a fan of the new visual feel of KDE 4. I like right angles and I've grown to like gtk.

I did install a panel applet in XFCE called 'places' that adds your bookmarks to the panel.

But especially when using a touchpad it's great to be able to right click and open apps or bookmarks... I guess I'm not a very coordinated touchpad user.

OpenSUSE 11.1 includes KDE 3.5, so maybe I will give that distro a try... I've been a long time Fedora user but this KDE 4.x refugee diaspora is frustrating...

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/09/09/kde-in-opensuse-111-and-beyond/

http://vavai.net/2009/01/10/opensuse-111-kde-35-download-link/

kilolima