PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 10 freezes during startup

Ranger Walker
2nd March 2009, 04:58 PM
Ok so i have been having trouble with my computer, so i made some changes and then decided to restart my computer. it started to boot fine but it stopped near the end of the boot screen, right under the Fedora logo, or after about 56 seconds. i unplugged the power (my computer doesn't have a reset button) and then plugged it back in and tried booting again but the same thing keeps happening. i had removed (i think) all of the pulseaudio software because i was trying to downgrade (if you can call it that) from the Rawhide repo (f11) down to the RPM.fusion repo, i was doing this because i remember reading somewhere that mixing stuff from the Rawhide and RPM.Fusion was a bad idea. i was also trying to setup Kyum to use a Google repo but it didn't work so i logged out, then in as root and removed the google repo file then logged out and back in as normal user. i think i also removed the bluez software but i don't think that would cause this. i can't remember what else i changed (i will be the first to admitt i'm not perfect) but i know i did change other stuff. i can get to the command line but i'm not very good with yum (this is why i was using kyum for a week or so now). i guess linux isn't as bullet-proof as i was thinking.

some of my computers specs are
pentium 4 1.6ghz
1gb of memory
256mb ATI Radeon 9550
and i don't remember much about the motherboard

any ideas?

Ranger Walker
3rd March 2009, 02:40 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

LionStar
3rd March 2009, 04:10 PM
You may try booting through a Rescue Disk to boot system in rescue mode.

Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/)

shinaj
4th March 2009, 09:41 PM
hi ranger walker!
i am having almost the same problem, after the booting my fedora 10 freezes, showing white/multicolour patterns, no login screen or any interface, i am removing the batterries to reboot it again, but ends up in the same, my laptop is compaq presario cq40, core 2 duo, mobile intel chipset, could you suggest any grub command to login?
i did some updates and instalation-xine, mplayer, diffrent types of lib etc

I AM A NEWBIE PLEASE HELPE ME[

Ranger Walker
5th March 2009, 08:21 PM
You may try booting through a Rescue Disk to boot system in rescue mode.

How do I make a rescue disk?

Ranger Walker
7th March 2009, 01:28 AM
just relized that i have a fedora 10 setup/rescue disk. i tryed running it a couple times but it still won't finish booting. i can install and remove stuff but whnen ever i do yum (or pakagekit ) for a few seconds says that it is trying another mirror and sometimes it finishes and says that it ran out of mirrors.

marcrblevins
7th March 2009, 09:33 AM
Boot screen? You meant the blue going white bar screen?
If so, reboot your rig.
When you see the begining of the boot screen, press Alt+d.
What does it hang on?

shinaj
7th March 2009, 11:07 AM
hi ,
i could resolve the login problem, now the problem is x windows, i am using CUI and unable to see the graphic desktop, no keyboard, no mouse works once x starts, it seems there is no "system-config-display" or "xorg config" installed, when i tried to install using yum it didnt work, saying no packages found (eventhough i am connected to net),
we are discussing this issue in another thread, may see this thread

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=215458

thanks

Ranger Walker
8th March 2009, 12:48 PM
Boot screen? You meant the blue going white bar screen?
If so, reboot your rig.
When you see the begining of the boot screen, press Alt+d.
What does it hang on?

it seams to be hanging on the thing right after cups (sorry i don't remember what it is at the moment).

Ranger Walker
9th March 2009, 12:37 AM
oh and a couple times i was able to get to a login screen for i guess x windows but the keyboard and mouse wouldn't respond.

Ranger Walker
9th March 2009, 12:45 AM
it gets hung up on anacron

Ranger Walker
12th March 2009, 01:29 PM
i tryed using a super grub boot disk but that didn't work.

Ranger Walker
14th March 2009, 11:35 PM
Anything else I could try?

gle
17th March 2009, 05:46 AM
I had the same problem and on googling found that intel chip sets have a problem with F10. I created a xorg.conf by running a command 'Xorg -configure'. This creates a file in roots home directory which you can then move to for example /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
These are the steps I took to overcome the freezing:
1. as the pc was rebooting I held the shift key down until the select screen came up and then selected a for append. I appended 'linux text' to the boot string.
2, When I got the command login prompt I logged in as root and created the xorg.conf as stated above.
3. I found the intel chip graphics cards have a problem, but a work around is to uncomment the line in xorg.conf to read 'Option "NoAccel" "yes" '.

That's all I did. The moving of objects on the desktop is chunky but I can live with it until F10 is fixed.
~~~~

shinaj
17th March 2009, 06:45 PM
hi gle,
it didnt work for me, i am having the same problem ( am on the intel mobile express GM45 chipset),

see my xorg.conf http://fpaste.org/paste/6347, and var/log/xorg.0 http://fpaste.org/paste/6348

what should i do

i edited the line like #Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>] "True", is it correct?

gle
18th March 2009, 04:57 AM
You need to edit xorg.conf and delete both '#' on the line with option "NoAccel" "true". Until I did that the welcome screen froze everytime.
~~~~

shinaj
18th March 2009, 08:55 AM
You need to edit xorg.conf and delete both '#' on the line with option "NoAccel" "true". Until I did that the welcome screen froze everytime.
~~~~

hi, gle

Section "Device"
#
### Available Driver options are:-
#
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
#
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
#
### [arg]: arg optional

#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>] "True"

#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#
#Option "CacheLines" # <i>
#
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#
#Option "NoDDC" # [<bool>]
#
#Option "ShowCache" # [<bool>]
#
#Option "XvMCSurfaces" # <i>
#
#Option "PageFlip" # [<bool>]
#
Identifier "Card0"
#
Driver "intel"
#
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
#
BoardName "Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller"
#
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
#
EndSection

this section contains the device option, are u saying that i should remove the entire line and write it like "NoAccel" "yes" omitting #, bool etc.
thanking you

gle
18th March 2009, 10:42 PM
All that needs to be done is to have on that line is
Option "NoAccel" "True"
Delete the other characters.
~~~~

shinaj
24th March 2009, 11:43 PM
hi,
it didnt work for me!!
?

gle
26th March 2009, 07:28 AM
Sorry I made a mistake. I just looked at my Xorg.conf and I noticed I gave you the following line:
Option "NoAccel" "True"
It should have been
Option "NoAccel" "yes"\
~~~~

Ranger Walker
11th April 2009, 03:57 PM
how do i edit xorg.conf?
also I thought i should post this in case it is part of the problume. at the screen where you can edit the commands before booting three things are displayed

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 ro root=uuid=0807c45a-e335-4af4-a2d4-7804038d9f5
initrd /initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.img

the kernel line used to have four numbers (which i forget) and quite nopat but it doesn't anymore.

gle
12th April 2009, 03:04 AM
When you get the screen with the commands put the cursor on the line
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 ro root=uuid=0807c45a-e335-4af4-a2d4-7804038d9f5
and type
a
You will then have the opportunity to add the number 3 to the end of the line and then type
b
You will then boot up in text mode and in that mode you will be able to
cd /etc/X11
and edit xorg.conf.
~~~~

Ranger Walker
11th June 2009, 02:45 PM
I decided just to clear everything and install f11, thanks though for the help everyone:)