PDA

View Full Version : secret screen capture

lemmingz
1st March 2009, 11:52 PM
Is there a way to have my computer take a screen shot secretly every time someone clicks a mouse?
I would like to see what's going on while I'm away without having to use up a lot of disk space with a long ongoing timed screen cast with wink or similar apps. Hopefully there would be time and date associated with the screen captures.
Thank you
Using fedora 9 on 2ghz athlon xp and Nvidia 6800

RupertPupkin
2nd March 2009, 01:54 AM
There probably is a way of detecting a mouse click for a general user in X. You'd have to write a daemon that always runs in the background when X starts up, and you would have to write it using the low-level Xlib functions (like xev does). But getting the screenshot would not be so secret. It would be very noticeable since the screen has to freeze for a second. The user would know that something is up. :)

Banks
10th March 2009, 07:10 AM
In fact, there are some software application like DemoCreator (http://www.download.com/Wondershare-DemoCreator/3000-13633_4-10670240.html?tag=mncol) records your onscreen activities based on the clicking and typing. It is recorded as taking screen shots. It just record the mouse clicking and keyboard typing. This way would not cost you much space. But it is not totally running secretly, you still see the small icon on the task bar.:)

glennzo
10th March 2009, 09:35 AM
Gee, I'd hate to be working for you or using computers in your office.

A screen shot for every mouse click? Methinks that this would fill even the biggest of hard drives rather quickly, especially if you're away for extended periods and there's no one to administer the computers. And who's going to take the time to look at all the pretty pictures?

Banks
11th March 2009, 03:19 AM
Because the Screen recording is based on the clicking and typing. The number of screen shots depends on your operating.
The truth is that the recording does not take up the space as you thought. And finally you can even publish the recording as Flash movie or video. You can check it out.
And I just find out another screen recorder DemoBuider can even hide the icon when recording. You can stop it with the hot key.