PDA

View Full Version : PackageKit error...please help?

loopy79
1st March 2009, 01:16 PM
Whenever I try to install a .rpm I've downloaded to my desktop for example, and try to install using the right click "install with Package Installer", I get an error message as below:

Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
Error Value: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 2314, in <module>
main()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 2311, in main
backend.dispatcher(sys.argv[1:])
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 600, in dispatcher
self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:])
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 526, in dispatch_command
self.refresh_cache()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 1131, in refresh_cache
self.yumbase.repos.populateSack(which=[repo.id], mdtype='metadata', cacheonly=1)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py, line 223, in populateSack
self.doSetup()
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py, line 71, in doSetup
self.ayum.plugins.run('postreposetup')
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py, line 178, in run
func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
File : /usr/lib/yum-plugins/rpm-warm-cache.py, line 32, in postreposetup_hook
cmd = commands[0]

I have tried to solve the problem by uninstalling all packagekit packages and associated dependencies and reinstalling them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

stefan1975
1st March 2009, 01:23 PM
it is not really a solution to the packagekit problem, but i would just skip Packagetkit entirely and just install it on the CLI. Why not open a terminal and run

$ su -c 'rpm -Uhv /your/path/to/the/file.rpm'

i always think this is better and faster then doing it the GUI way. it shows more output as well.

do you have many .rpm's to install then? aren those apps in the repo's ($ yum search {package}), it is much better to just yum install your software in the long run with dependencies and package versions.
But if the stuff is not available in the fedora/rpmfusion/adobe/etc. repo's you might not have another choice.

stefan

JonathanR
1st March 2009, 07:18 PM
Whenever I try to install a .rpm I've downloaded to my desktop for example, and try to install using the right click "install with Package Installer", I get an error message as below:

Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
Error Value: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 2314, in <module>
main()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 2311, in main
backend.dispatcher(sys.argv[1:])
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 600, in dispatcher
self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:])
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 526, in dispatch_command
self.refresh_cache()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 1131, in refresh_cache
self.yumbase.repos.populateSack(which=[repo.id], mdtype='metadata', cacheonly=1)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py, line 223, in populateSack
self.doSetup()
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py, line 71, in doSetup
self.ayum.plugins.run('postreposetup')
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py, line 178, in run
func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
File : /usr/lib/yum-plugins/rpm-warm-cache.py, line 32, in postreposetup_hook
cmd = commands[0]

I have tried to solve the problem by uninstalling all packagekit packages and associated dependencies and reinstalling them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Packagekit is calling upon yum, as it's supposed to do. If you look at the error, it looks like there is a problem with the cache of your yum, or the plugins. Disable your plugins, clear yum's cache, then try it.