PDA

View Full Version : Update broke Xorg?

petermholmes
1st March 2009, 03:27 AM
Soooo...the last update completely crucified my Xorg as best I can tell. If I go into interactive boot mode, the last thing I see is:

Start service local (Y)es/(N)o/(C)ontinue [Y]

at which point the only way I can get into the machine is Ctrl-Alt-F2. If I look in .xsession-errors I see complaints along the lines of "this machine is a desktop, not a laptop; I'm not even going to try" (it's correct; the machine is a desktop). If I look in /var/log/Xorg.5.log I see complaints such as:

(EE) Unable to locate/open config file -and-
Fatal server error; no screens found

Anybody got any ideas as to how to bring some sanity back to my machine? Can I back out the last patch? If so, how do I find out what it was and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm strictly a novice at this sysadmin stuff.

ozjd
1st March 2009, 03:49 AM
What graphics card do you have? Is it possible that you updated the kernel without a new driver?

Try booting to an old kernel, if that works then that may be your problem.

petermholmes
1st March 2009, 04:00 AM
What graphics card do you have?

I've got a vanilla Dell Inspiron 530, so I believe it's an Nvidia of some sort.

Is it possible that you updated the kernel without a new driver?

The kernel has been updated several times without complaint until now, and I'm pretty sure the updates this morning didn't have a new kernel, although I'm pretty sure I saw a new xorg-something go by.

Try booting to an old kernel, if that works then that may be your problem.

I really am a novice at sysadmin. How do I do that?

PatMcLJr
1st March 2009, 04:11 AM
maybe you could configure an xorg.conf?

login to root
init 3
then
Xorg -configure
then you should have an xorg.conf you can tune

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.

petermholmes
1st March 2009, 04:11 AM
What graphics card do you have?

According to Ubuntu 7.10, it's an nVidia GeForce 8300 GS.

petermholmes
1st March 2009, 04:30 AM
maybe you could configure an xorg.conf?

Thanks for the suggestion, Pat. I tried it and the resulting .new config file didn't work either.

Is it possible to determine what the last patch made to the xorg package was and then remove it? Sun used to have a routine called backoutpatch which would do that but I don't know what the FC10 equivalent is (if it exists).

PatMcLJr
1st March 2009, 04:56 AM
here's another idea, maybe you could get it going with the vesa driver?

I've had to use that sometimes until I found a way to fix my Xorg so it would work, ummm, "properly" if you can call it that.

I think I read some posts about that card too, might be one of the more troublesome nVidias for fedora. But I can't say for sure.

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.

j0n!-Sn!p3r
1st March 2009, 05:20 AM
my compiz is not working with windows and effects...

whe option to minimize, close, etc i cant see..

if a select metacity i can see all, but with compiz i cant work fine is my system...

what wrong?

ozjd
1st March 2009, 05:47 AM
my compiz is not working with windows and effects...

whe option to minimize, close, etc i cant see..

if a select metacity i can see all, but with compiz i cant work fine is my system...

what wrong?

Have a look at the Compiz thread in my signature.

Kilo
1st March 2009, 10:26 PM
Peter,

I've got the same problem. Again, a Dell running FC10. Since my last yum update, the GUI won't even load. From the command line I made my own xorg.conf and got it going with the vesa driver, but I can't get the right resolution. I also note it has switched my keyboard to us although I've set it to gb in my xorg.conf. My graphics card is a Radeon X600.

This is nasty!

petermholmes
1st March 2009, 11:25 PM
Peter,

I've got the same problem. Again, a Dell running FC10. Since my last yum update, the GUI won't even load. From the command line I made my own xorg.conf and got it going with the vesa driver, but I can't get the right resolution. I also note it has switched my keyboard to us although I've set it to gb in my xorg.conf. My graphics card is a Radeon X600.

This is nasty!

It certainly is. According to my /var/log/yum.log, among the the things that got updated are:

xorg-x11-server-common-1.5.3-13.fc10.i386
xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2,1.3-1.fc10.i386
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-13.fc10.i386

Does anybody know how to revert these packages to their previous versions? Can I just do "rpm -e" on them?

petermholmes
2nd March 2009, 07:43 PM
For those of you who were afflicted with the same plague as I and who had the same RPMs updated as I, the following worked to get my GUI back in one piece:

ftp rpm.pbone.net
anonymous
<your email address>
cd vol2/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/10/i386
binary
get xorg-x11-server-common-1.5.3-6.fc10.i386.rpm
get xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.1.1-1.fc10.i386.rpm
get xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-6.fc10.i386.rpm
bye
su
<your root password>
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-common-1.5.3-6.fc10.i386.rpm xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.1.1-1.fc10.i386.rpm xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-6.fc10.i386.rpm
init 6

Kilo
3rd March 2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks Peter.

For 64 bits users, amendments to Peter's instructions:

ftp rpm.pbone.net
anonymous
<your email address>
cd vol2/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/10/i386
get xorg-x11-server-common-1.5.3-6.fc10.i386.rpm
cd ..
cd x86_64
get xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.1.1-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm
get xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-6.fc10.x86_64.rpm
bye
sudo rpm -Uhv --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-common-1.5.3-6.fc10.i386.rpm xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-6.fc10.x86_64.rpm xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.1.1-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm
sudo init 6

Thanks Peter - this works a treat! :) Only now I have to be very careful with "yum update" until the xorg packages are updated with a fix.

get

ATGardner
1st April 2009, 09:08 AM
I've had the same problem, and I tried fixing it with the previous post.
I got the files from the ftp, and rpm'ed them. I then also ran Xorg -configure, and copied the xorg.conf.new over my xorg.conf
now, when I reboot to fc10, I finally get the logon screen (with X), and after logon, I see the desktop for a short while. Then, the screen flickers and I am left with a white blank screen.
What am I missing here? Should I manually change stuff in my xorg.conf to make it work somehow?
Maybe there's a newer update "out there" that fixes this problem by now? Can I somehow update from root console, without reverting to the older rpms?

I am using fc10_x64 on nVidia 8800GT.

thanks for your tips.

petermholmes
1st April 2009, 03:45 PM
What am I missing here? Should I manually change stuff in my xorg.conf to make it work somehow?

At least in my case, the system runs with *no* xorg.conf at all. I suspect that's because I've never specifically installed the nVidia drivers. So the system doesn't run fast, but it *does* run. If I look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, amongst all the other stuff I see:

(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) nVidia Corporation GeForce 8300 GS rev 161, Mem @ 0xfa000000/0, 0xd0000000/0, 0xf8000000/0, I/O @ 0x0000cf00/0, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
(==) Matched nv for the autoconfigured driver
New driver is "nv"
(==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
(==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default nv Device 0"
Driver "nv"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default nv Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default nv Device 0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Builtin Default Layout"
Screen "Builtin Default nv Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
EndSection
(==) --- End of built-in configuration ---

Maybe there's a newer update "out there" that fixes this problem by now? Can I somehow update from root console, without reverting to the older rpms?

Every time they update xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-xx.fc10.i386.rpm, I try it to see if they've fixed the problem. So far, no joy. If you want to try, though, I believe all you need to type is

yum update to update your entire system or

yum update "xorg-x11-*" to update just Xwindows.

I am using fc10_x64 on nVidia 8800GT.

I'm running Linux 2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.i686 with an nVidia GeForce 8300 GS.

Kilo
20th April 2009, 10:53 PM
A bit disappointed to note that this bug is still present. I've added "exclude=xorg-x11-server-common,xorg-x11-server-Xorg,xorg-x11-drv-evdev" to /etc/yum.conf to protect myself against it in future.

petermholmes
21st April 2009, 03:54 AM
A bit disappointed to note that this bug is still present. I've added "exclude=xorg-x11-server-common,xorg-x11-server-Xorg,xorg-x11-drv-evdev" to /etc/yum.conf to protect myself against it in future.

For what it's worth I gave up waiting for the generic driver to be fixed and installed nVidia drivers per:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1114769&postcount=1

At that point, everything worked fine (as did updates).

petermholmes
21st April 2009, 04:09 AM
From the command line I made my own xorg.conf and got it going with the vesa driver, but I can't get the right resolution.

I had a problem setting the resolution on a Toshiba Laptop (wouldn't go over 800x600) which I got going using the following xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XP"
Driver "trident"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 28-51
VertRefresh 43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
Device "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XP"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Perhaps something similar would work for you?

petermholmes
24th April 2009, 10:21 PM
Last note: for what it's worth, I had opened a bugzilla on this:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=490777

However, it has just been closed due to lack of information. If anybody else has the requested information available, it would probably be smart to reopen it.