PDA

View Full Version : How to DVD Stuff (commands to eject dvd)

Lisa
28th February 2009, 01:11 AM
I need a command I can run from the command line or a bash script that will eject a dvd and keep it open (force open and stay open).

Ideally something like:
$eject --keep-open /dev/sr0

would be super nice.

If nothing exists like this, how would I go about writing a tool that would do this?

scottro
28th February 2009, 03:36 AM
eject -r doesn't leave it open?

eject -r seems to work for me (this is CentOS though, not Fedora).
Then, to close it

eject -t /dev/dvd

Lisa
28th February 2009, 06:09 AM
eject -r /dev/sr0 works to eject the DVD and then it promptly closes.
How do I make it stay open?

I'm using Samsung DVD RW Sata.

Any ideas?

Does eject need to be modified to make all DVD/CD drives stay open? Not sure what is going on here.

marcrblevins
1st March 2009, 12:45 AM
Maybe its the hardware itself.

Try this.
Start Dolphin
Slap in a CD
Right click on the CD
Select Edject

Does it stay open?

Chilly Willy
1st March 2009, 01:05 AM
My CD drive stays open - as it should - how else would you be able to take anything out without it catching your fingers or the disk? This would be a good way of jamming the mechanism.

Look to see it it isn't hitting on something, (or the disc catching), this will cause it to go back in.

ryptyde
1st March 2009, 03:29 AM
My CD drive stays open - as it should - how else would you be able to take anything out without it catching your fingers or the disk? This would be a good way of jamming the mechanism.

Look to see it it isn't hitting on something, (or the disc catching), this will cause it to go back in.

My F10 desktop drive stays open when using the "eject" command but I do recall that there was a problem with the F9 release when the drive would open then close before you could remove a disc unless you were super fast as a ninja. :)

EDIT: the open close F9 problem was discussed in this thread EjectProblem (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=193607&highlight=drive+eject+problem)