PDA

View Full Version : Control panel

bill bellman
27th February 2009, 12:30 PM
For a long time i have been a windows user and more than familiar with it. But i believe in Fedora and i admit it is not as easy as one may think. But look i cant go any further until i can get my key board straightend out. I cant use @ or z y and other short cuts that my key board offers. The only reason i am able to do this here is that i have got two pcs in tandem. One with Fedora as my o/s and this one with Vista Ultimate.

I have searched you forums but it is all googly gook. Why isnt there a programme or a control panel with facilities to programme the key board also the whole top line of numbers are alright but i also cant get ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + |. I can see why some would give up as we are just so ingrained into windows. i THINK HAVING A CONTROL PANEL WOULD REALLY GIVE MORE CONFIDENCE OF SEARCHING AND EXPLORING FEDORA.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

cable_txg
27th February 2009, 12:40 PM
Hi,
How about this:
1. What environment (KDE,GNOME...etc)?
2. List the shortcuts you want created (This couold be done differently on different environments)

I think you hit the nail on the head "I can see why some would give up as we are just so ingrained into windows."
Nearly every OS has a different interface, you just have to be patient and willing to learn it. :)

Wayne
27th February 2009, 12:41 PM
PLEASE! Don't shout! There's no need to use all capitals!

Actually, there is a basic Control Panel, but it's not active in the menu by default. Right-click on the Gnome menu and choose 'Edit Menus" then go to "Preferences" near the bottom and check the "Control Centre"

Keyboard Shortcuts is under "Personal"

Wayne

leigh123linux
27th February 2009, 12:43 PM
For a long time i have been a windows user and more than familiar with it. But i believe in Fedora and i admit it is not as easy as one may think. But look i cant go any further until i can get my key board straightend out. I cant use @ or z y and other short cuts that my key board offers. The only reason i am able to do this here is that i have got two pcs in tandem. One with Fedora as my o/s and this one with Vista Ultimate.

I have searched you forums but it is all googly gook. Why isnt there a programme or a control panel with facilities to programme the key board also the whole top line of numbers are alright but i also cant get ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + |. I can see why some would give up as we are just so ingrained into windows. i THINK HAVING A CONTROL PANEL WOULD REALLY GIVE MORE CONFIDENCE OF SEARCHING AND EXPLORING FEDORA.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

If you are using Gnome try typing

gnome-control-center

in a terminal

Or for just keyboard settings

gnome-keyboard-properties